1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello,I'm a junior in college and sadly I live out in the middle

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I'm a junior in college and sadly I live out in the middle of nowhere (country living). None of the colleges within driving distance offer any real science base courses beyond the the basic general education requirements, or medical related classes required for nursing, radiology, ect.

What little that is offerred is usually taught by adjunct instructors that barely know the material themselves.

While math has never been one of my academic strengths I've always been fascinated with basic math theory and physics.
    I was hoping someone could guide me toward a good starting point so that I can learn on my own.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2
    Re: Self-Study

Start buying books.
    3000 Solved Problems in Physics- Schaum's Series by Alvin Halpern my choice.
    Then start asking questions at this helpful and wonderful site i've ever encountered.

4. Jun 5, 2012 #3

Yes, I think books are the best. Online lectures can complement the study as well. some links can be found in the "maths and physics learning material" section.

5. Jun 5, 2012 #4

Try open-courseware from institutes like MIT, Yale etc, they are really good to get a basic understanding of subject, and have a well defined course, so you don't go astray.

Here's the link to MIT OCW http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm.

And books are, of course, your best friends. There are book suggestions to complement your learning for most scholar courses in MIT OCW, so you wont be in lack of information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook