Hello,I'm a junior in college and sadly I live out in the middle

• Schools
  • Thread starter ajgrebel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation revolves around a college student living in a rural area with limited access to science courses and instructors. The student expresses interest in learning math theory and physics on their own and receives helpful advice to start by purchasing books and utilizing online resources such as open-courseware from institutes like MIT.
ajgrebel
Hello,

I'm a junior in college and sadly I live out in the middle of nowhere (country living). None of the colleges within driving distance offer any real science base courses beyond the the basic general education requirements, or medical related classes required for nursing, radiology, ect.

What little that is offerred is usually taught by adjunct instructors that barely know the material themselves.

While math has never been one of my academic strengths I've always been fascinated with basic math theory and physics.
I was hoping someone could guide me toward a good starting point so that I can learn on my own.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Start buying books.
3000 Solved Problems in Physics- Schaum's Series by Alvin Halpern my choice.
Then start asking questions at this helpful and wonderful site I've ever encountered.

Yes, I think books are the best. Online lectures can complement the study as well. some links can be found in the "maths and physics learning material" section.

Try open-courseware from institutes like MIT, Yale etc, they are really good to get a basic understanding of subject, and have a well defined course, so you don't go astray.

Here's the link to MIT OCW http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm.

And books are, of course, your best friends. There are book suggestions to complement your learning for most scholar courses in MIT OCW, so you won't be in lack of information.

Hi there,

I understand your frustration with the limited science courses offered at colleges near you. It can be challenging to pursue your interests in math and physics when not given the opportunity to take advanced courses. However, there are still ways for you to continue learning and exploring these subjects on your own.

One option is to look into online courses or resources that offer in-depth courses in math and physics. Many reputable universities and organizations offer online courses that cover a wide range of topics and are taught by experienced instructors. Additionally, there are many online communities and forums where you can connect with other students and experts in the field to discuss and learn from each other.

Another option is to take advantage of your college's library and online databases to access textbooks and research articles on math and physics. You can also reach out to professors or researchers in these fields to see if they have any resources or recommendations for self-study.

Lastly, I would encourage you to continue pursuing your interests and passion for math and physics. While it may be more challenging to do so in your current situation, your determination and self-motivation will ultimately lead you to success in these subjects. Best of luck to you!

What is the reason for your living situation?

I live out in the middle because I attend a college that is located in a rural area.

How do you handle the isolation and lack of amenities?

I have learned to adapt and find ways to stay entertained and connected with others through technology. I also make regular trips to nearby towns for any necessary amenities.

Do you miss living in a more urban or suburban area?

While I do sometimes miss the convenience and variety of city living, I have grown to appreciate the peace and quiet of living in a more rural area.

Has living in a rural area affected your studies or career goals?

Not necessarily. My college provides all the necessary resources for my education and I have access to internships and job opportunities in nearby cities.

Do you have any advice for other students living in similar situations?

Embrace the unique experience and take advantage of the opportunities that come with living in a rural area. Don't be afraid to reach out and make connections with others in your community.