Why Do Physicists Make Simple Things Sound Hard?

• Thread starter secur
  • Start date
In summary, physicists often make simple things sound hard because they use complex mathematical and scientific concepts to understand and explain the world around us. They also tend to focus on finding the underlying principles and theories behind seemingly simple phenomena, leading to a deeper understanding of the universe. Additionally, the use of technical jargon and terminology can make their explanations seem more complicated than necessary. However, this approach allows physicists to make accurate and precise predictions, leading to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.
secur
I'm here because of this comment from haael in a thread on spin-2 graviton: "Physicists will rot in hell for making simple things sound hard." Although making dubious assumptions about "hell" (regarding existence thereof, admission prerequisites, and resident's biological degeneration) haael understands the problem laypersons have with many physicists' answers. He goes on to give the kind of correct-yet-understandable explanation we want to see.

I'm a mathematician who (long ago) wrote thesis in Functional Analysis, so QM has always been my primary interest, but I read widely in Science. My questions will often be of the form "So-and-so says [this] in his book, but I don't get it, doesn't [this] violate [that] ?

Anyway, thanks for this forum and I look forward to useful conversations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Don't know if it's kosher to make a comment here, but thought this would be germane.

I've started to ask three different questions. In every case a list of similar questions popped up, which provided the answer I wanted. At this rate I'll never ask a question. Very informative site!

Likes berkeman
Yes, that is a nice feature. But you're right, that kind of comment would normally go in the Feedback forum. Enjoy the PF! :smile: