Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help choosing Nuclear Engineering Classes?

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    Hey I was hoping some of the established engineers on here could help me out. I have my B.S. in Physics, I work as an electrical engineer, and I'm starting my second semester for my M.S. in Nuclear Engineering. I am not currently employed in the nuclear field but I'm looking to move into it in the next year. Which classes would you guys recommend I take that would be most likely to help me in terms of employment in the NucE industry? Here's a link to my Spring 2012 options, thanks for the input!

http://www.engr.psu.edu/cde/nuce/index.html

So far I've taken Fundamentals of NucE and Nuclear and RadioChemistry

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless you have a specific position in mind I don't think individual classes have a significant bearing on employment opportunities. Take the classes that interest you the most and do well in them so that you can demonstrate your knowledge to a prospective employer. Generally, university classes are pretty far removed from real-world applications and won't really improve your ability you to jump right in to an actual job.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    Cool thanks Quantum, good advice, I figured that was probably going to be the case. I'm hoping to find employment soon so I can tailor my classes toward an actual career.

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4
    You want to work in nuclear power generation I assume?

If so, look into Nuc E 511, Nuc E 521, Nuc E 502, ME 461, and ME 442.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook