Help creating constant-speed linear motion

In summary: Overall, using a lead screw or ball screw assembly would be the most efficient and least wear-prone option, but it would require more expensive and heavier parts.
xatz
I want to move a plate at a constant speed in a straight line, and to do so in as efficient a way as possible with high torque involved.

What would be a good method to accomplish this? The problem is that both torque and efficiency are very important.

Engineering news on Phys.org
xatz said:
I want to move a plate at a constant speed in a straight line, and to do so in as efficient a way as possible with high torque involved.

What would be a good method to accomplish this? The problem is that both torque and efficiency are very important.

How about a lead screw or ball screw assembly?

The HP involved is 3, and of this motor input, I'd like to get 2.7 HP's worth, but 2.5 HP is acceptable. There is also a specific speed the plate must move at, which is a constant 100 mph in a straight line for 1-2 feet.
After this linear movement, the plate will bend into its four sections, forming a "C" shape, and then will move in a circular path around a rotor back to its original position to repeat the process. This path and form is used to minimize drag while still moving 100 mph and to cost a lot less energy to do so. There will be a second plate in use that will be moving at an exact opposite point so energy isn't wasted during this re-positioning of the first plate.

I would also like to use lightweight and efficient modern parts such as magnetic gears, which may be required to get the best results.

berkeman said:
How about a lead screw or ball screw assembly?

Well, lead screws tend to be inefficient and to wear out quickly. I updated the info of the requirements in a new post so it will be more clear what's needed. Ball screws can be up to 90% efficient, which is great, but I'll have to see if they can be used for the high speed requirement, though.

Last edited:

1. What is constant-speed linear motion?

Constant-speed linear motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a straight line at a constant speed. This means that the object's velocity, or speed and direction, remains the same throughout the motion.

2. How can I create constant-speed linear motion?

To create constant-speed linear motion, you will need to use an external force such as a motor or a hand to push or pull the object in a straight line at a constant speed. This can also be achieved by using a machine like a conveyor belt or a train on a straight track.

3. Why is constant-speed linear motion important in science?

Constant-speed linear motion is important in science because it allows for precise and predictable measurements and calculations. This type of motion is also used in many real-world applications such as transportation, manufacturing, and robotics.

4. What factors affect constant-speed linear motion?

The factors that can affect constant-speed linear motion include external forces such as friction, air resistance, and gravity. The mass and shape of the object and the surface it is moving on can also impact its speed and motion.

5. How can I measure the speed of an object in constant-speed linear motion?

The speed of an object in constant-speed linear motion can be measured by calculating the distance the object has traveled over a specific time interval. This can be done using tools like a stopwatch, ruler, or motion sensors.