Help derive this differential equation?

In summary: He doesn't actually give a rigorous argument for it, he just says that it is an approximation that works well for large values of ##r##. He doesn't actually give a rigorous argument for it, he just says that it is an approximation that works well for large values of ##r##.
Boltzman Oscillation
Homework Statement
y'' = (r^2)y
Relevant Equations
characteristic equation
Hello I need to derive this equation from Grittfith's quantum book

$$ \frac{d^2y}{dr^2} = r^2y$$
I know I can use the characteristic equation:
$$m^2 = r^2 \rightarrow y = e^{r^2}$$
but the answer should be:
$$y=Ae^{\frac{-r^2}{2}} + Be^{\frac{r^2}{2}}$$
I know from Euler's formula that:
$$e^{ix} = cos(x)+isin(x)$$
but there is no imaginary number in y.
Can I absorb the imaginary constant into a constant B or A and then go from there?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Boltzman Oscillation said:
I know I can use the characteristic equation
The characteristic equation applies for a linear differential equations with constant coefficients. That is not the case here. Your proposed solution also makes no sense as both terms are the same.

Orodruin said:
The characteristic equation applies for a linear differential equations with constant coefficients. That is not the case here. Your proposed solution also makes no sense as both terms are the same.

Alright, sorry. Could I use a solution via separable variables?
$$\frac{1}{y}dy^{2}=r^{2}dr^{2}$$
I can get from the first integration
$$\ln{y}dy=\frac{r^3}{3}dr$$
and integrating again i get
$$yln{y}-y+A=\frac{r^4}{12}$$
Am i going the right way?

Could I use a solution via separable variables?
No, that is not a correct application of separation of variables. You have a second derivative and cannot split that in that way.

Orodruin said:
No, that is not a correct application of separation of variables. You have a second derivative and cannot split that in that way.
Alright I am out of solutions :( could i get a hint?

Hello I need to derive this equation from Grittfith's quantum book
This is not a very specific reference. Please tell us exactly where in the book it appears.

Orodruin said:
This is not a very specific reference. Please tell us exactly where in the book it appears.
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics second edition
Section 2.3.2 Harmonic Oscillator Analytic Method
maybe I should mention r = sqrt(mwx2pi/h)?

So he is not saying that ##y = A e^{-r^2/2} + B e^{r^2/2}## is a solution. He is saying that it is an approximate solution for large ##r##. At least in the first edition (which is the one I have), he goes on to actually argue for the form of the solution.

Orodruin said:
So he is not saying that ##y = A e^{-r^2/2} + B e^{r^2/2}## is a solution. He is saying that it is an approximate solution for large ##r##. At least in the first edition (which is the one I have), he goes on to actually argue for the form of the solution.
ohh i see. How did he come up with that apporximate solution though?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more derivatives of an unknown function, and is used to model various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why do we need to derive differential equations?

Differential equations are essential in the field of science as they allow us to mathematically model and understand complex systems and phenomena. They provide a powerful tool for predicting and analyzing the behavior of these systems, making them crucial in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

3. What is the process of deriving a differential equation?

The process of deriving a differential equation involves using known information about a system to create an equation that describes the relationship between the variables involved. This often involves using mathematical principles such as calculus and algebra to manipulate the known information into a differential equation form.

4. What are the types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. Other types include linear and nonlinear differential equations, as well as first-order and higher-order differential equations.

5. How are differential equations used in real-world applications?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They also play a crucial role in fields such as control theory, where they are used to design systems that can respond to changing conditions.