L-R-C Series Circuits - Help With Differential Equation

In summary, the homework statement is a differential equation that describes how charge and current change with time in an LRC series circuit. It is stated that when R^{2} < \frac{4L}{C} the solution has the form q = Ae^{-(\frac{R}{2L})t}cos(\sqrt{(\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t)} + \phi).
BOAS
Hello,

this is a maths problem that is related to a physics problem, but I think it's best posted here due to what I'm asking about.

1. Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{d^{2}q}{dt^{2}} + \frac{R}{L} \frac{dq}{dt} + \frac{1}{LC}q = 0[/itex] is a differential equation describing how charge and current change with time in an LRC series circuit (found via Kirchoff's loop rule).

It is stated that when [itex]R^{2} < \frac{4L}{C}[/itex] the solution has the form [tex]q = Ae^{-(\frac{R}{2L})t}cos(\sqrt{(\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t)} + \phi)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I would like to do is verify this, by finding the first and second derivative and substituting them into the original equation.

[itex]q = f(x)g(x)[/itex] where [itex]f(x) = Ae^{-(\frac{R}{2L})t}[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = cos(\sqrt{(\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t)} + \phi)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dq}{dt} = f(x)g'(x) + g(x)f'(x)[/itex]

[itex]f'(x) = - \frac{R}{2L}Ae^{-\frac{R}{2L}t}[/itex]

[itex]g'(x) = - \frac{R^{2} \sin(\sqrt{(\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t} + \phi))}{8L^{2} \sqrt{\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dq}{dt} = Ae^{-(\frac{R}{2L})t} (-\frac{R^{2} \sin{\sqrt{\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t}+ \phi}}{8L^{2} \sqrt{\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t}})+ cos(\sqrt{(\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t)} + \phi) (- \frac{R}{2L}Ae^{-\frac{R}{2L}t})[/itex]

I would then need to use the quotient rule and the product rule again, meaning I'm going to collect even more terms. Am I going about doing this in the correct manner? I assume everything is meant to cancel at the end, but this seems somewhat absurd...

I don't expect anyone to check my work, but I would greatly appreciate someone confirming or denying my method.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm glad you don't expect anyone to check your work. For one thing, probably everywhere you have an ##x## it should be a ##t##. What I would do if I were you is call ##a = \frac R L## and ##b = \frac 1 {LC}## and just solve the DE ##q'' + aq' +bq = 0##. It's just a constant coefficient equation and you can take the case where the roots are complex conjugate. That's probably the reason for ##R^2<\frac{4L} C##. Put the constants in at the end. It should be easy.

In your first equation q = ... and elsewhere, shouldn't the t be outsid the ) bracket?

epenguin said:
In your first equation q = ... and elsewhere, shouldn't the t be outsid the ) bracket?
Right!

1. What is an L-R-C series circuit?

An L-R-C series circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains inductors (L), resistors (R), and capacitors (C) connected in a series. This means that the components are connected end-to-end, and the same current flows through each component.

2. How does a differential equation relate to L-R-C series circuits?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the input and output of a system. In the case of L-R-C series circuits, the differential equation describes the behavior of the circuit in terms of voltage and current as a function of time.

3. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation for L-R-C series circuits?

Solving the differential equation for L-R-C series circuits allows us to predict and analyze the behavior of the circuit. This is important for understanding how the circuit will respond to different input signals and for designing circuits that meet specific requirements.

4. How can differential equations be solved for L-R-C series circuits?

There are several methods for solving differential equations for L-R-C series circuits, including using Laplace transforms, Kirchhoff's laws, and calculus techniques such as separation of variables and integration.

5. What are some real-world applications of L-R-C series circuits?

L-R-C series circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in power transmission systems and electrical grids to regulate voltage and current. Additionally, L-R-C series circuits can be found in many scientific instruments, such as oscilloscopes and signal generators.