1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L-R-C Series Circuits - Help With Differential Equation

1. Jan 20, 2015 #1
    Hello,

this is a maths problem that is related to a physics problem, but I think it's best posted here due to what i'm asking about.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\frac{d^{2}q}{dt^{2}} + \frac{R}{L} \frac{dq}{dt} + \frac{1}{LC}q = 0[/itex] is a differential equation describing how charge and current change with time in an LRC series circuit (found via Kirchoff's loop rule).

It is stated that when [itex]R^{2} < \frac{4L}{C}[/itex] the solution has the form [tex]q = Ae^{-(\frac{R}{2L})t}cos(\sqrt{(\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t)} + \phi)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

What I would like to do is verify this, by finding the first and second derivative and substituting them in to the original equation.

[itex]q = f(x)g(x)[/itex] where [itex]f(x) = Ae^{-(\frac{R}{2L})t}[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = cos(\sqrt{(\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t)} + \phi)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dq}{dt} = f(x)g'(x) + g(x)f'(x)[/itex]

[itex]f'(x) = - \frac{R}{2L}Ae^{-\frac{R}{2L}t}[/itex]

[itex]g'(x) = - \frac{R^{2} \sin(\sqrt{(\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t} + \phi))}{8L^{2} \sqrt{\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dq}{dt} = Ae^{-(\frac{R}{2L})t} (-\frac{R^{2} \sin{\sqrt{\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t}+ \phi}}{8L^{2} \sqrt{\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t}})+ cos(\sqrt{(\frac{1}{LC} - \frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}}t)} + \phi) (- \frac{R}{2L}Ae^{-\frac{R}{2L}t})[/itex]

I would then need to use the quotient rule and the product rule again, meaning i'm going to collect even more terms. Am I going about doing this in the correct manner? I assume everything is meant to cancel at the end, but this seems somewhat absurd...

I don't expect anyone to check my work, but I would greatly appreciate someone confirming or denying my method.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm glad you don't expect anyone to check your work. For one thing, probably everywhere you have an ##x## it should be a ##t##. What I would do if I were you is call ##a = \frac R L## and ##b = \frac 1 {LC}## and just solve the DE ##q'' + aq' +bq = 0##. It's just a constant coefficient equation and you can take the case where the roots are complex conjugate. That's probably the reason for ##R^2<\frac{4L} C##. Put the constants in at the end. It should be easy.

4. Jan 20, 2015 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In your first equation q = ... and elsewhere, shouldn't the t be outsid the ) bracket?

5. Jan 21, 2015 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted