1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP! determine work needed to push a crate up a ramp at constant speed

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ramp leading up to a loading platform is 3 m long and 1 m high at its highest point. If the friction is ignored, what work is needed to slide a 600-kg crate up the ramp at a constant speed?
    a) 2.00 *10^2 J
    b) 5.89 *10^2 J
    c) 1.80 *10^3 J
    d) 5.88 *10^3 J

I believe the answer is d) but I would just like someone to explain the answer to me and correct me if d) isn't the answer. THANK YOU SO MUCH, in advance :)

2. Relevant equations

a=0
    Fnet=0..... because its at a constant speed
    W=Ffriction=mg

3. The attempt at a solution

W=600kg*9.8m/s^2= 5.88*10^3J

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi dani123! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    correct :smile:
    wrong, W is work, that's completely different from force

work done equals the change in energy, so you need an equation relating W and potential energy
    maybe it's right, maybe it isn't, but the reasoning is certainly wrong :wink:

4. Mar 14, 2012 #3
    Ok so this may be a stupid question but is there a difference between force and energy? If so how am I suppose to calculate the energy in order to get the work required to push the crate up the ramp! Thanks so much for your time

5. Mar 14, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erm … yeeees! :smile:

big difference

energy = work = force times distance

(for example, mg is force, mgh is energy)

you need to go back to your book, and read those chapters again, before trying any more of these questions! :wink:

6. Mar 14, 2012 #5
    ops! lol its been a long day haha thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook