[HELP] Ding Dong sound for doorbell

• Thread starter dirzsignature
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary: You can control the ding dong sound output with the PWM (pulse width modulation) function. You can also set the bell to ring continuously with a timer using the I2C bus. You would need two I2C ports and a timer IC. The timer IC would need to be able to generate a pulse width of 10 milliseconds or longer.
dirzsignature
Hi there,

i am an industrial design student and currently i am trying to design a doorbell for small dormitory rooms. I am just wondering if it is possible to make the chime only creates a "ding dong" sound only ONCE while the button remain pressed.

Thanx for your help,

regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, a number of circuits will do that.

thank you for the reply,

but do you mind to explain to me how to stop the bell ringing while the circuit is still connected?

As I said, there are a number of ways. You would have to give some technical specifications before I would know which to choose. For example, what type of button is being used? What is the time you desire to have the bell ring? What is the time-out when the bell would be able to ring again? What sort of power are you delivering to this circuit? What sort of power are you controlling? What are your cost targets? Keep in mind that this is a common problem, one that has been solved many times before, so you must be very clear in what you want.

Hi TVP45,

The button is just a push spring loaded button. The bell just rings ding-dong once for a very short period after the button is pressed and hold at pressed position. the bell will ring again when the button is depressed and pressed again. Power will be from home 220V AC electricity.

This is just a concept for mass-produced product.

Thank you,

Again, I must ask you about your background. Your answer about using 220 VAC says that you probably live outside the US. Such a voltage will almost certainly require you to meet notified body standards and that varies with where you live. Excuse me for being roundabout; I am trying to lead you to the answer, not give it to you. Is this a serious project that has to be realistic or simply a homework type quesion? If you mass-produce this, where do you envision doing this?

dirzsignature said:
but do you mind to explain to me how to stop the bell ringing while the circuit is still connected?

It would be easier to answer your questions if you gave more information. You could have an electronic bell/speaker that is capable of ringing continuously. OR, you could have a mechanical bell activated by a solenoid.

There's many ways to accomplish your goals, and more info would help narrow down the possibilities.

easiest would be to use a PIC uC. You'll need two IO pins. One for the ding dong sound output and the other for sound activation.

1. How does a doorbell make a ding dong sound?

A doorbell typically consists of a button or switch that completes an electrical circuit, causing a chime or bell to ring. When the button is pressed, it triggers an electromechanical mechanism that produces the ding dong sound.

2. What causes a doorbell to make a continuous ding dong sound?

If a doorbell is making a continuous ding dong sound, it is likely due to a stuck button or a malfunctioning internal component. This can be fixed by checking and repairing any damaged wiring or replacing the faulty component.

3. Can I change the ding dong sound of my doorbell?

Yes, you can change the ding dong sound of your doorbell by replacing the chime or bell mechanism. There are also modern doorbells that offer customizable sound options through digital programming.

4. Why does my doorbell make a buzzing sound instead of ding dong?

This could be due to a loose wire, worn out or damaged internal components, or a problem with the transformer. It is best to consult a professional to identify and fix the issue.

5. What is the purpose of having a ding dong sound for a doorbell?

The ding dong sound of a doorbell is a common and recognizable sound that alerts homeowners or occupants of an incoming visitor. It is a simple and effective way to let someone know that there is someone at the door.