Help evaluating the zeta function

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of Riemann's integral form of the zeta function for complex numbers, focusing on the case of s=2. The conversation includes discussions on using the identity for the gamma function, evaluating the contour integral, and finding the antiderivative for integration by parts. The conclusion is that the second integral from 0 to infinity is sufficient for the evaluation of zeta at positive integers.
galoisjr
I just started reading the book by Edwards. I am currently in a complex variables course so i figured that I would give zeta a shot. I realize that there are easier ways to evaluate it for integer values, namely, the infinite sum. But I trying to at least evaluate it so that I could at least begin understanding the book. So, I was wondering if anyone could help me evaluate Riemann's integral form of zeta that is valid for all complex numbers

[tex]\zeta (2) = {\left. {\frac{1}{{2i\sin (\pi s)}}} \right|_{s = 2}} \cdot \oint\limits_\gamma {\frac{x}{{{e^x} - 1}}} dx = {\left. {\frac{1}{{2i\sin (\pi s)}}} \right|_{s = 2}} \cdot \left( {\int\limits_{ + \infty }^0 { + \int\limits_{x = \left| \delta \right|} + \int\limits_0^{ + \infty } {\frac{x}{{{e^x} - 1}}} } dx} \right)[/tex]

For instance, for s=2 I was trying to compute the integrals separately until I realized that the gamma integral was divergent for negative values of s. So, I figured that the contour integral part must turn it into some kind of indeterminate form, and I used the identity

[tex]\Gamma (1 - s) = \frac{\pi }{{\sin (\pi s)\Gamma (s)}}[/tex]

then,

[tex]\zeta (s) = \frac{{{e^{\pi is}}}}{{2i\sin (\pi s)\Gamma (s)}}\oint\limits_\gamma {\frac{{{x^{s - 1}}}}{{{e^x} - 1}}} dx[/tex]

I got to here and plugged in gamma(2)=1, then realized that it really didn't make sense for integer values because sin(pi*n)=0 (which kind of made sense because the the previous form was divergent). So, to try to get this into an indeterminate or something I started working on the contour

[tex]\zeta (2) = {\left. {\frac{1}{{2i\sin (\pi s)}}} \right|_{s = 2}} \cdot \oint\limits_\gamma {\frac{x}{{{e^x} - 1}}} dx = {\left. {\frac{1}{{2i\sin (\pi s)}}} \right|_{s = 2}} \cdot \left( {\int\limits_{ + \infty }^0 { + \int\limits_{x = \left| \delta \right|} + \int\limits_0^{ + \infty } {\frac{x}{{{e^x}}}} } dx} \right)[/tex]

Sorry about the abuse of notation. I obviously didn't get very far because 1) I don't understand how this is a contour integral since x is a real variable and 2) I have no clue how to integrate x/(e^x-1).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So I finally figured out how to evaluate the integral which takes care of the hard parts I guess I still do not know what to do about the integral around the circle of radius delta though. I'm posting it for anyone who may need some insight because the integral is nasty and one little negative sign that you have to put in is what makes it so difficult. So far,

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\int {\frac{x}{{{e^x} - 1}}} dx = - \int {\frac{x}{{1 - {e^x}}}} \\
u = x\\
du = dx\\
dv = \frac{1}{{1 - {e^x}}}
\end{array}[/tex]

to find the antiderivative of this for integration by parts we need to do more substitutions so,
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\int {\frac{1}{{1 - {e^x}}}} \\
t = - {e^x}\\
dt = - {e^x}dx\\
dx = \frac{{dt}}{t}\\
\int {\frac{{dx}}{{1 - {e^x}}}} = \int {\frac{{dt}}{{t(1 - t)}}} = \int {\frac{{dt}}{t} + \int {\frac{{dt}}{{1 - t}}} } \\
w = 1 - t\\
dw = - dt\\
= \int {\frac{{dt}}{t}} - \int {\frac{{dw}}{w} = \log (t) - \log (w) = x - \log (1 - {e^x})} \\
v = x - \log (1 - {e^x})
\end{array}[/tex]

Now we can solve the original integral using integration by parts and we have

[tex]\int {\frac{x}{{{e^x} - 1}}} dx = - \int {\frac{x}{{1 - {e^x}}}} = - ({x^2} - x\log (1 - {e^x}) - \int {x - \log (1 - {e^x})dx = x\log (1 - {e^x}) - \frac{{{x^2}}}{2} - \int {\log (1 - {e^x})dx} } [/tex]

Now I didn't do this last integral because it is -Li_2(e^x) which is an infinite sum, so I felt like this was enough of testing my integration techniques

[tex]\left. {x\log (1 - {e^x}) - \frac{{{x^2}}}{2} + L{i_2}({e^x})} \right|_0^{ + \infty } = \frac{{{\pi ^2}}}{6}[/tex]

Like I said before, I still do not know what to do with the integral around the half circle. So I still need some help If anyone would like to share some knowledge

Last edited:
It seems that I over looked the fact that gamma(1-s) has poles at the positive integers. So I guess that the second integral from 0 to infinity is sufficient for the evaluation of zeta at positive integers

1. What is the zeta function?

The zeta function, denoted as ζ(s), is a mathematical function used in number theory and complex analysis. It is defined as the sum of the reciprocals of all positive integers raised to the power of s. It is widely studied for its connection to prime numbers and its properties in the complex plane.

2. How is the zeta function evaluated?

The zeta function can be evaluated using various methods, such as the Euler-Maclaurin formula, the Riemann-Siegel formula, and numerical approximation techniques. It can also be evaluated at specific values of s, such as s=2, using known series expansions or special values.

3. What is the significance of the zeta function in mathematics?

The zeta function is significant because of its connections to prime numbers, which are crucial in number theory and cryptography. It also has applications in the study of the distribution of prime numbers and the Riemann hypothesis, one of the most famous and unsolved problems in mathematics.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the zeta function?

While the zeta function is primarily studied in pure mathematics, it has some real-world applications. For example, it has been used in signal processing and data compression. It also has connections to physics, specifically in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

5. What are some open questions or current research related to the zeta function?

The zeta function continues to be an active area of research, with many open questions and ongoing studies. Some current research topics include the behavior of the zeta function on the critical line, the distribution of its zeros, and its connections to other areas of mathematics such as fractals and dynamical systems.