Help for understand of spontaneous polarization in piezo

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of spontaneous polarization in piezo materials and its effects on the piezo disk. It is mentioned that piezo materials need to be poled under high temperature and electric field before being used. The conversation also includes a constitutive equation that shows the relationship between electric displacement, electric permittivity, electric field, piezoelectric coefficient, and stress. The question is posed as to why the electric displacement in the piezo disk is zero when there is spontaneous polarization present. The speaker is seeking clarification and assistance on this matter.
athosanian
dear all, I want to confirm whether there is spontaneous polarization in the piezo materials. I know the piezo materials need to be poled under high temperature and electric field before applications. So if there is spontaneous polarization, comes my following confusing.
Given a piezo disk with polarization along the thickness direction, with upper and bottom surface silver coated as electrodes. the spontaneous polarization of piezo disk is denoted as P0. When disk is in such a state, without any stress applied on it and the upper and bottom electrodes are connected. Then the stress and electric field in the piezo disk is zero. so from the constitutive equation:
      D=ε*E+d*T
(where D is electric displacement, ε is electric permittivity, E is electric field, d is piezoelectric coefficient and T is stress.), the D is 0 in the piezo disk in such a state. However, because of spontaneous polarization in the piezo disk the D should not be 0, it should be P0 ! What is wrong with my thought? I hope some help. Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Anyone could help?

1. What is spontaneous polarization in piezo?

Spontaneous polarization in piezo refers to the electric dipole moment that exists in certain materials, such as crystals, even in the absence of an external electric field.

2. How does spontaneous polarization occur in piezo materials?

Spontaneous polarization occurs due to the arrangement of positive and negative ions within the crystal structure of piezo materials, which creates an overall dipole moment.

3. What is the significance of spontaneous polarization in piezo?

Spontaneous polarization plays a crucial role in the piezoelectric effect, where an applied mechanical stress can generate an electric field and vice versa. This makes piezo materials useful in various applications, such as sensors, actuators, and energy harvesting devices.

4. Can spontaneous polarization be controlled in piezo materials?

Yes, the direction and magnitude of spontaneous polarization can be controlled by applying an external electric field, which can be done through processes such as poling or electrical aging.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks of spontaneous polarization in piezo materials?

One potential drawback is that spontaneous polarization can decrease over time due to factors such as aging or temperature changes. This can affect the performance and reliability of piezo devices in the long term.