Help graphing Vectors in polar form

In summary: You can also try this online tutorial. In summary, you need to input the coordinates of the points you want to plot (in this case, the points (0,0), (0,1), (1,1)), and the equation you want to plot (in this case, the equation r = (A cosθ sinθ cscθ - B sinθ cscθ)).
physicsfridayrose
Homework Statement
I'm doing a project looking at gravitational assists and the change in velocity
for part of it my teacher has told me to graph an equation I have but I'm unsure how to, as it is a vector equation in polar form, with constants I'm going to call them A and B. I am trying to use desmos, but am unsure how to
Relevant Equations
I can't seem to type in LaTeX on here so I put it in my solution
The equation I'm trying to graph on desmos is this with A & B as numbers, but I'm unsure how as it is a vector.

r = (A cosθ sinθ cscθ - B sinθ cscθ) i + (A cosθ sinθ cscθ + B sinθ cscθ) j

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, maybe you could make a loot at the LaTeX Guide, it will help us to understand what are you asking.

Likes berkeman
Gaussian97 said:
Hello, maybe you could make a loot at the LaTeX Guide, it will help us to understand what are you asking.
I've had a look and can't seem to work out where I'm supposed to type in LaTeX but have reorganised the question hope it works better now

[itex] \vec{r} = (A\cos\theta \sin\theta \csc\theta - B sin\theta csc\theta) \hat{i} + (A cos\theta sin\theta\csc\theta+ B \sin\theta\csc\theta) \hat{j} [/itex]

Likes berkeman
Well, if you mean what Dr Transport wrote, you can look at some trigonometry identities to simplify a little your expression.
And what is exactly what you want to draw?

physicsfridayrose said:
Homework Statement:: I'm doing a project looking at gravitational assists and the change in velocity
for part of it my teacher has told me to graph an equation I have but I'm unsure how to, as it is a vector equation in polar form, with constants I'm going to call them A and B. I am trying to use desmos, but am unsure how to
Relevant Equations:: I can't seem to type in LaTeX on here so I put it in my solution

The equation I'm trying to graph on desmos is this with A & B as numbers, but I'm unsure how as it is a vector.

r = (A cosθ sinθ cscθ - B sinθ cscθ) i + (A cosθ sinθ cscθ + B sinθ cscθ) j
It's not really clear what you mean by "vector equation in polar form". Polar form is ##r=f(\theta)## where ##r##, the distance from the origin, and ##\theta##, the angle relative to the +##x## axis, are both scalars. You don't have that here. On the righthand side, you have a vector with ##x## and ##y## components. You can tell this by the presence of the unit vectors ##\hat i## and ##\hat j##. On the lefthand side, you should have ##\vec r## (not ##r##) which is equal to ##x\,\hat i + y\,\hat j##.

To make a graph in Desmos, check the help for how to plot parametric functions.

1. What is polar form in vector graphing?

Polar form in vector graphing is a way of representing a vector using magnitude and direction. It uses polar coordinates, which involve an angle and a radius, to describe the position of the vector.

2. How do I convert a vector from Cartesian form to polar form?

To convert a vector from Cartesian form (x,y) to polar form (r,θ), you can use the following formulas: r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x). This will give you the magnitude and direction of the vector in polar form.

3. Can I graph vectors in polar form on a Cartesian coordinate plane?

Yes, you can graph vectors in polar form on a Cartesian coordinate plane. To do so, you will need to convert the polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates using the formulas mentioned in the previous question.

4. What is the difference between polar form and rectangular form in vector graphing?

The main difference between polar form and rectangular form in vector graphing is the way they represent the vector. Polar form uses magnitude and direction, while rectangular form uses x and y coordinates. Both forms can be used to describe the same vector, but they have different ways of representing it.

5. How do I add or subtract vectors in polar form?

To add or subtract vectors in polar form, you can use the parallelogram law or the triangle law. The parallelogram law involves drawing a parallelogram with the vectors as sides, and the sum or difference of the vectors will be the diagonal of the parallelogram. The triangle law involves drawing a triangle with the vectors as sides, and the sum or difference of the vectors will be the third side of the triangle.