Help help! Ib extended essay physics help!

• Thread starter maxilius
  • Start date
Hey guys I need help. I'm doing a water rocket experiment for this essay. I have a single stage and a two stage rocket. My question is why two stage rockets work better as in go higher than two stage rockets. What measurments should I take? Please also consider equations i can use .like momentum and stuff....thanks

Answers and Replies

Do you have anything to show us?

What equations do you think you should use?

What measurments do you think you need to take (or can take)?

Why do you feel a two stage rocket will go higher than a single stage one?

I was thinking maybe inertia, momentum...something along those lines....but the thing is..my physics formula knowledge isn't that great so I'm literally just throwing equations out there I have no idea that will prove/show that 2 stage rockets go higher than 1 stage rockets.....If someone can lead me help me here...not just simply stating physics equations..but physics equations that are relevant and will be most pertinent to the question of mine which is....why do two stage rockets work better as in go higher than 1 stage rockets..Please help....All input will be greatly appreciated :D..

PS: I have all equipments..I have an altimeter.I have pump..I have a one stage and two stage rocket...and of course water :D...just an FYI

I was thinking maybe inertia, momentum...something along those lines....but the thing is..my physics formula knowledge isn't that great so I'm literally just throwing equations out there I have no idea that will prove/show that 2 stage rockets go higher than 1 stage rockets.....If someone can lead me help me here...not just simply stating physics equations..but physics equations that are relevant and will be most pertinent to the question of mine which is....why do two stage rockets work better as in go higher than 1 stage rockets..Please help....All input will be greatly appreciated :D..

PS: I have all equipments..I have an altimeter.I have pump..I have a one stage and two stage rocket...and of course water :D...just an FYI

You really do need to give us something before we can help you. Forums rules.

Please answer the questions from my previous post.

Also, state the equations you want to use (or think you should) and explain why you should use them.

Once you have done that, I will happily provide you with some guidance.

Newton's first, second, and third law

conservation of energy- b/c energy is conserved throughout....transfered from potential to kinetic

conservation of momentum...it's conserved too..but the thing is there's all these external forces which I don't know what to do with :S

That's all I can think of now...I"m a noob I admit :S

conservation of energy

conservation of momentum

And...

Seriously, please try to answer the questions as fully as possible.

I'm not allowed to just hand you the answers and explain it all to you.

berkeman
Mentor

conservation of energy- b/c energy is conserved throughout....transfered from potential to kinetic

conservation of momentum...it's conserved too..but the thing is there's all these external forces which I don't know what to do with :S

Another approach would be for you to use Google to help you start to understand the advantages of multi-stage rockets. As Jared says, we can't just be giving out answers to schoolwork questions here on the PF.

So for example, I went to Google and started typing... Multi-Stage Rocket.... and Google handed me the answer to your question in its drop-down suggestion box.

Google can be your friend as you look for help in answering your questions. :smile: