Help I dunno how to use coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 20 kg mass on a horizontal surface and a 150 N applied force. The coefficient of kinetic friction is given as 0.10. The conversation includes attempts at drawing a force diagram and asking for help with calculating the force of friction, net force, and acceleration. The conversation also touches on the relationship between the coefficient of friction and the applied forces, as well as the direction of the frictional force.
theLHC
Help... I don't know how to use coefficient!

Homework Statement

A 20 kg mass is moving along a horizontal surface. A 150 N force is applied to it. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.10, calculate
a) The force of friction
b)The net force
c)The acceleration
Draw a force diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I don't know how to calculate a-c, but I attempted to draw a force diagram of it:

Since I cannot post it, i will describe how it looks:
A block is on the surface of the floor. It has a force of 200 N pushing down on the ground, and the push of 150 N pushing the object. The resulting force is 240 N, if measured by scale diagram. Thats about as far as I got. Please help...:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org

theLHC said:

Homework Statement

A 20 kg mass is moving along a horizontal surface. A 150 N force is applied to it. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.10, calculate
a) The force of friction
b)The net force
c)The acceleration
Draw a force diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I don't know how to calculate a-c, but I attempted to draw a force diagram of it:

Since I cannot post it, i will describe how it looks:
A block is on the surface of the floor. It has a force of 200 N pushing down on the ground, and the push of 150 N pushing the object. The resulting force is 240 N, if measured by scale diagram. Thats about as far as I got. Please help...:cry:

The coefficient of friction will apply to the force between the block and the surface. And this would have a relationship with the 200N downward force. But it's effect would serve to retard the 150N horizontal force.

well how can you put this into a summation equation?
where does the friction coefficient go into the equation?

theLHC said:
well how can you put this into a summation equation?
where does the friction coefficient go into the equation?

What is the frictional force? Is it easier to drag a wooden box of books over the carpet or over an ice rink surface?

If the coefficient of friction applies to its downward force, what direction does it act.

well, i guess it acts in the downward direction?

What is a coefficient?

A coefficient is a numerical value that multiplies a variable in an equation or formula. It represents the relationship between the variable and other quantities in the equation.

How do I find the coefficient in an equation?

To find the coefficient in an equation, you can look for the number directly in front of the variable. For example, in the equation 5x + 3y = 12, the coefficient of x is 5 and the coefficient of y is 3.

What is the purpose of using coefficients in equations?

Coefficients are used in equations to show the relationship between different variables and quantities. They help to simplify and solve equations more efficiently.

How do I solve for a coefficient?

To solve for a coefficient, you can rearrange the equation using algebraic operations and isolate the variable with the coefficient. This will give you the value of the coefficient.

Can coefficients have negative values?

Yes, coefficients can have negative values. A negative coefficient indicates that the variable has an inverse relationship with the other quantities in the equation.