Help in assembly language study

In summary, Sumaya is studying assembly language for x86 processors and wants to be able to study it online. She found a tutorial on how to do this, but needs help with finding a good resource. She has found an assembler project file for Visual Studio 2008, but needs help with the command line.
Sumaya
hi
i wish everyone in good health

this semester I am studying Assembly language ..

and our lecturer in my university is not good at teaching ..

so i hope some one helps me to online ppt lectures or videos or any website .. that i can study assembly language step by step ...

thanx alot

Technology news on Phys.org
Hi Sumaya. Normally assembly language is taught in relation to some particular hardware architecture. In essence, learning about low level computer architecture and assembly language usually go hand in hand.

Do you have specific assembler language that you're learning?

Sumaya said:
hi
i wish everyone in good health

this semester I am studying Assembly language ..

and our lecturer in my university is not good at teaching ..

so i hope some one helps me to online ppt lectures or videos or any website .. that i can study assembly language step by step ...

thanx alot

Hey Sumaya and welcome to the forums.

As uart pointed out, the assembler language is dependent on the hardware platform you are using.

If you know the platform, it might be a good idea to get an architecture manual of some sort that goes through all of the OPcodes (the binary representation) and the assembler mnemonic (think XOR for an exclusive or command).

A good manual will have everything from the complete syntax definition to a complete description of the memory model and the processing model which may or may not include things like software and hardware interrupts.

You should get everything you need from a decent well organized official architecture manual for your platform.

i am studing Assembly Langauge for x86 Processors 6th edition - Kip Irvine
and I'll use c++ 2008 assembler
thanx for all

Sumaya said:
I'll use c++ 2008 assembler.
Assuming you mean Visual Studio 2008, if you want to create an assembler project, you'll probably need to create a "custom" build step for the assembly code. Start by creating an "empty' win 32 dos console project, then go to project options and "add existing item" to include your assembly source file (like example.asm). Then right click on the source file name under project and choose custom build step. For debug mode for a source file called example.asm would look like:

command line:

ml /c /Zi /Fo$(outdir)\example.obj example.asm

output:

$(outdir)\example.obj

For the release mode, the command line is the same except you remove the /Zi.

Once you've done this, you'll be able to build and debug assembly programs in the same manner as C programs. When debugging, you'll want to enable the debug view registers window.

1. What is assembly language?

Assembly language is a low-level programming language that is closely tied to the hardware of a computer. It uses mnemonic codes to represent machine instructions and is typically used for tasks that require direct access to hardware, such as device drivers and operating systems.

2. How can learning assembly language help me?

Learning assembly language can help you gain a deeper understanding of how computers work at a low level. It can also improve your problem-solving skills and make you a more versatile programmer. Additionally, knowing assembly language can make you better at debugging and optimizing code in higher-level languages.

3. Is assembly language difficult to learn?

Assembly language can be challenging to learn, as it requires an understanding of computer architecture and a different way of thinking compared to higher-level languages. However, with practice and patience, it can be mastered like any other programming language.

4. What are some good resources for studying assembly language?

There are many resources available for studying assembly language, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and video lectures. Some popular resources include "Assembly Language Step-by-Step" by Jeff Duntemann and the "x86 Assembly" series on YouTube by David Welch.

5. Are there any real-world applications for assembly language?

Yes, assembly language is still used in many real-world applications, particularly in embedded systems and operating systems. It is also commonly used for reverse engineering and malware analysis. Additionally, knowledge of assembly language can be helpful in low-level programming and optimization tasks in higher-level languages.