1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help in Laplace Transform, not homework

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1
    I am trying to do laplace transform of [itex]y(t)=e^{-at}\cos (bt)\;[/itex]. The answer should be:

[tex]\frac {s+a}{(s+a)^2+b^2}[/tex]

But here is my work, I can't get rid of the -ve sign. I must be too blind to see the obvious, please help:

[tex]\overline{y(s)}=\int^∞_0 e^{-(s+a)t}\cos (bt) dt\;=\; \frac 1 b [e^{-(s+a)t}\sin(bt)]^∞_0\;+\frac {s+a}{b}\int^∞_0\;e^{-(s+a)t}\sin (bt) dt[/tex]

[tex][e^{-(s+a)t}\sin(bt)]^∞_0 =0 \;\Rightarrow\; \overline{y(s)}= \frac {s+a}{b}\int^∞_0\;e^{-(s+a)t}\sin (bt) dt\;=\;-\frac {s+a}{b^2} [e^{-(s+a)t}\cos(bt)]^∞_0\;-\frac {(s+a)^2}{b^2}\int^∞_0\;e^{-(s+a)t}\cos (bt) dt[/tex]

[tex][e^{-(s+a)t}\cos(bt)]^∞_0 =1 \;\Rightarrow\; \overline{y(s)}= -\frac {s+a}{b^2}-\frac {(s+a)^2}{b^2}\int^∞_0\;e^{-(s+a)t}\cos (bt) dt\;=\;-\frac {s+a}{b^2}-\frac {(s+a)^2}{b^2}\overline{y(s)}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\;\left(1+\frac {(s+a)^2}{b^2}\right)\overline{y(s)}\;=\;-\frac {s+a}{b^2}\;\Rightarrow\; \overline{y(s)}\;=\; -\frac {s+a}{(s+a)^2+b^2}[/tex]

You see the -ve sign? Please tell me what I did wrong.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

On line 2 you should have a + sign in front of the last integral on the right, because you have a negative v = -w in the integration-by-parts formula uv - ∫ v du = -uw + ∫ w du.

One question: why did you not just get the transform of exp(-at)*exp(i*b*t)? That way you would get transforms of both exp(-at)*cos(bt) and exp(-at)*sin(bt) in the same calculation. and that calculation would take just one step---plus extracting real and imaginary parts.

RGV

4. Sep 28, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply. But on the second integral it is
    [tex]-\int wdu\;\hbox { where }\; u= e^{-(s+a)t} \Rightarrow du=-(s+a)e^{-(s+a)t} dt\;,\; dw=\sin(bt)dt\;\Rightarrow \;w=-\frac 1 b \cos (bt)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\; -\int wdu\;=\; -\frac {-(s+a)}{-b}\int^∞_0 e^{-(s+a)t} \cos(bt)dt[/tex]

You see the -ve sign holds?

I just did it the first way come to mind to prove the formula, not working as an exercise. Now I got stuck in this!!! I gone through so many times and just can't see what I did wrong!!!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  5. Sep 28, 2012 #4
    You could take two derivatives and find that

x''= -2ax' + (b^2-a^2)x (I hope I did that right)

And take the laplace of both sides, use the rule for the laplace of a derivative, then solve for the laplace of x

6. Sep 28, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I see them, and I shouldn't, because they do not belong. Go back and look again!

RGV

7. Sep 28, 2012 #6
    I don't see it. I look at this for a long time. I modified the last post to reflect the -ve signs and still the same. Please point it out. I know once a while, I get into this and I just cannot see it. This is supposed to be an easy proof of the formula.

8. Sep 28, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have already pointed out your error, and suggested to you that you do the whole thing again, using exp(i*b*x) instead of sin(bx) or cos(bx). If you do not wish to use my hints, that is OK by me, but I am all out of suggestions.

RGV

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  9. Sep 29, 2012 #8
    Yes, I actually did the problem using complex Euler formula already. But that does not answer the question why I can't get the right sign. I check it so many times. Whether the way I do this is the most efficient way is besides the point. The point is why don't I get the right answer using simple integrate by parts. No matter what, I should get the correct answer. Right?

10. Sep 30, 2012 #9
    Anyone please?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook