Help me chose my first oscilloscope

In summary, Dave is looking for an oscilloscope that can handle digital electronic/microcontrollers/serial communications and is budget-friendly. He recommends the Rigol DS1054Z, the Siglent Aardvark SPI/I2C programming pod, or the TotalPhase serial protocol analyzer pods. He also recommends getting an extended warranty and trying out online vendors.
NEoX
So, I'm a student of electrical engineering and I want to buy an oscilloscope to learn more about stuff and have in mind some projects to do. At the moment I'm working on project "supervision of pellet furnace" with ESP8266 and automatic refilling. For that project I build my own schematic and board, but it has some problems and I want to debug it.
So I need an oscilloscope, and also in next semester I have a course about oscilloscope and measure.

My budget is 450€ max!

1. I was looking at some models like Rigol ds1054z but i don't know if this scope is best buy for that money in 2018. (I will unlock to 100MHz if still can and all other things like I2C,RS232...)

2. My main interest is digital electronic/microcontrollers/serial comunications (I2C,UART,RS232...)

3. I want to buy a product that I can use for long, long time as a student and to do hobby stuff with it and maybe one day for work

Please suggest me some oscilloscopes that will last.

Thanks!

Sorry if this topic doesn't belong here.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi there

welcome to PF :smile:

tis a good place to post ... all us EE's hang out here

The Rigol scopes are really good all round scope.
I bought one for the last company I worked for and had no issues with it, worked well
cant remember the model, it was around 8 yrs ago. From memory, it went to 50 MHz which was all I needed
in that workshop as most stuff was audio systems with a rare bit of higher speed digital.

Getting the 100 MHz option would be good
Get a good extended warranty ... probably will cost you a few extra Euro. try and get coverage out to around 5 yearshave fun

Dave

Likes berkeman
Another Dave ( I assume) reviews scopes and has a lot of great info... check it out over at www.eevblog.com

If I recall correctly the RIgol had a pretty good review, I am also looking at the Siglent brand, he also did an interview with the founder.

May also want to look at the Analog Discovery kit - students can get a pretty good discount.

Likes Paul Colby
In the IK, there is a healthy supply of pretty cheap analogue scopes on eBay. No good for data analysis, of course but cheap and cheerful and you can rely on what you see as being what's really there. I would avoid the units that plug into a PC for a display. Not handy for fault finding. But 'chaque un a son gout' as they say in France.
Just think long and hard about what you will actually want to do with it when you have it. :smile:

Likes osilmag
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
NEoX said:
My main interest is digital electronic/microcontrollers/serial comunications (I2C,UART,RS232...)
An option you should look into is the serial programmers and bus analyzers from TotalPhase. We use their Aardvark SPI/I2C programming pods and their Beable serial protocol analyzer pods here at work. They cost about $250 each, and are very handy when it comes do dealing with serial protocol issues. It's great if your 'scope can provide some of that functionality, but you will usually pay a lot more for those features in a 'scope, compared to just getting the TotalPhase pods.

https://www.totalphase.com/company/newsletter/aug2018-can-usb-i2c-spi#

:smile:

beagle-i2cspi-rgb144_2.jpg

I also wants to buy an oscilloscope but they are very expensive, starting form $300, I don't need such kind of oscilloscope as my uses are limited. I came through this article https://circuitdigest.com/electronic-circuits/transistor-as-an-amplifier-circuit where they have shown such small pocket sized oscilloscope this looks cheap and fit for my work.
I just want to ask where to buy this kind of thing?? It was not available on local shops even on big electronics stores.

suryansh said:
I also wants to buy an oscilloscope but they are very expensive, starting form $300, I don't need such kind of oscilloscope as my uses are limited. I came through this article https://circuitdigest.com/electronic-circuits/transistor-as-an-amplifier-circuit where they have shown such small pocket sized oscilloscope this looks cheap and fit for my work.
I just want to ask where to buy this kind of thing?? It was not available on local shops even on big electronics stores.
The case is marked "JYE Tech DSO".
This is their website. https://jyetech.com/index.php

Likes dlgoff
The case is marked "JYE Tech DSO".
Yes but the official site have only two payment options, Paypal and Google pay, which I don't have.
I will try some other online vendors.

1. What is the difference between analog and digital oscilloscopes?

Analog oscilloscopes display waveforms as a continuous trace on a cathode ray tube (CRT) screen, while digital oscilloscopes convert the signal into a digital format and display it on an LCD screen. Analog oscilloscopes are typically less expensive and have better resolution for fast-changing signals, while digital oscilloscopes offer more advanced features and measurements.

2. What features should I look for in a beginner oscilloscope?

For a beginner oscilloscope, it is important to look for a model with a bandwidth and sample rate that can handle the types of signals you will be working with. It should also have a user-friendly interface, basic measurement capabilities, and a reliable brand reputation. Consider your budget and the types of projects you plan to work on when deciding which features are most important for your needs.

3. Can I use an oscilloscope for both analog and digital signals?

Yes, most modern oscilloscopes have the capability to display both analog and digital signals. However, you may need to use different probes or adapters for different types of signals. It is important to check the specifications of the oscilloscope you are considering to ensure it can handle the types of signals you will be working with.

4. How do I choose the right probe for my oscilloscope?

The right probe for your oscilloscope depends on the type of signal you will be measuring, the frequency range, and the voltage levels. Make sure to choose a probe with a bandwidth and voltage rating that is compatible with your oscilloscope. It is also recommended to use high-quality, shielded probes to reduce noise and ensure accurate measurements.

5. What is the importance of sample rate and memory depth in an oscilloscope?

The sample rate determines how many data points are collected and displayed per second. A higher sample rate allows for more accurate representation of fast-changing signals. Memory depth, on the other hand, refers to the number of samples that can be stored in the oscilloscope's memory. A larger memory depth allows for longer capture times and more detail in the waveform. Both sample rate and memory depth are important factors to consider when choosing an oscilloscope for your needs.