1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me proove absolute value inequalities and Solve an Integral

1. Sep 4, 2014 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1) True or Fale?
    |a-b| [itex]\geq[/itex] ||a|-|b||

My solution: I broke this up into 4 different cases. 1. a> 0 b>0 2. a<0 b<0 and so on...
    For each case, I ended up with a more simplified version of the inequality. For instance, in case 1 where I used a<0 and b<0, I ended up with the simplified statement of:
    [itex]|-a+b|\geq|-a+b|[/itex] Which is clearly equivalent.

Is this a correct way to prove that this statement is true?

2. With that being out of the way, how can I prove this statement to be true:
    [itex]\sqrt{(a+b)^2} = |a+b|[/itex]
    Would I do the same thing and break it up into 4 cases?

3. This has been my most difficult problem so far.

For any x > 0, consider the function

f(x)=[itex]\int^{\sqrt{x}}_{0}e^{t^{2}}dt[/itex]

Computer f'(x)

My work so far: I was told to use the chain rule where the inner function is [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] and the outer is 0.

I'm not qutie sure what to do.. I imagine I take the antiderivative of this function using the chain rule?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you are only considering "1. a> 0, b> 0 2. a< 0 b< 0 and so on" HOW did you get to [itex]|-a+ b|[/itex]? You also need to consider, in each of those cases a< b and a> b.

You know that |a|= |b| if and only if [itex]a^2= b^2[/itex], don't you?

This makes no sense. The left side is a function but the right side is a differential. they can't be equal. Did you mean [itex]f(x)= \int e^t dt[/itex]? If so finding f' is just the "fundamental theorem of Calculus".

??? There is NO square root in the problem you gave- and an "outer function" of 0 would just make the entire function 0.

You said the problem was to find the derivative not the anti-derivative. What, exactly is the problem.

4. Sep 4, 2014 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Halls, Thanks for the reply:

Regarding 1)
    To save space I cut my claims short. I did take into account a>b and b>a

2) So if I square both sides, I would receive (a+b)^2 = (a+b)^2 Hm. That makes a lot of sense.

3) It seems you may have quoted my question when I was editing/had a problem with the latex. The proper latex version is up now.
    With that being said, I understand why the outer function of 0 would make the chain rule null. Maybe my TA was not looking at the problem carefully enough.

I will need to search through the Fundamental theorem of Calculus then.

Thank you for the input. It is appreciated.

5. Sep 4, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since you apparently solved it using many cases, I will suggest an easier way not needing all those cases. Start with$$
    |a| = |(a-b)+b| \le |a-b| + |b|$$(I'm assuming you already have the triangle inequality here). So this gives you$$
    |a|-|b| \le |a-b|$$. Now do you see how this same result with ##a## and ##b## switched gives you your required inequality?

6. Sep 4, 2014 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Hey guys, I think I figured out the third problem. The integral problem using the fundamental theorem of calculus. Can anyone check my work:

1. denote a new function :
    g'(x) = e^(x^2)
    f(x)=g(sqrt(x))

Using the chain rule
    f'(x) = 1/2(sqrt(x) * e^(sqrt(x)^2)

How does this look?

LCK, I am going to look into what you posted. One moment.

7. Sep 4, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Surely, you can simplify "(sqrt(x))^2".

8. Sep 4, 2014 #7

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Excellent. e^x.

=)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted