1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Me Prove this Identity (or find a counterexample)

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    Let f be an analytic function defined in an open set containing the closed unit disk and let z in ℂ be fixed. I've simplified a more complicated expression down to this identity, and as implausible as it looks, after some numerical checking it does in fact appear to be true, but I can't find a way to prove it:

[tex]\overline{f(0)} = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{e^{i\phi}}{e^{i \phi}-z}\overline{f(e^{i\phi})}d\phi[/tex]

The functions I tried were: z, z+1, and z+i, so nothing transcendental. We don't know that [itex]\overline{f(z)}[/itex] is analytic and we can't even push the conjugate inside the function, thus I feel like I don't have many tools at my disposal except for algebraic manipulation, and so far that hasn't gotten me anywhere.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2
    What is the original question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook