Apply a corollary to show an identity

In summary, to prove the identity 2 sinz*sinw = cos(z-w) - cos(z+w) for any z,w ∈ ℂ, we can use the corollary which states that if two analytic functions are equal on a subset E, then they are equal on the larger domain D. By choosing E to have at least one limit point in D, we can use the standard trigonometric identities for real numbers to show that the identity holds for every point in E. Therefore, we can conclude that the identity holds for all z,w ∈ ℂ.
Shackleford

Homework Statement

Apply corollary to show that 2 sinz*sinw = cos(z-w) - cos(z+w) for any z,w ∈ ℂ

Homework Equations

2 sinz*sinw = cos(z-w) - cos(z+w) for any z,w ∈ ℂ

Corollary: Let f and g be analytic functions defined on a domain D ⊂ ℂ. Let E ⊂ D be a subset that has at least one limit point a in D. If f|E = g|E, then f = g in D.

The Attempt at a Solution

Of course, this trig identity holds in both the real and complex spaces. As I understand it, the notation f|E means that f is restricted to the subset E. I'm not sure if it's as easy as simply plugging in two values from E and then claiming that the functions are equal and then extending that to the larger domain D.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two values are not enough, the identity has to hold for every point in E in order to use the corollary - but you have the freedom to choose E as long as it satisfies the condition with the limit point.

I guess you are allowed to use the standard trigonometric identities for real numbers here.

mfb said:
Two values are not enough, the identity has to hold for every point in E in order to use the corollary.

I guess you are allowed to use the standard trigonometric identities for real numbers here.

Yeah, I guess I'll simply use the Angle-Sum and -Difference Identities.

1. What is a corollary?

A corollary is a statement that follows from a previously proven theorem or proposition. It is often used to extend the results of a theorem to a specific case or situation.

2. How do I apply a corollary to show an identity?

To apply a corollary to show an identity, you must first identify the relevant theorem or proposition that serves as the basis for the corollary. Then, you must determine how the conditions of the corollary apply to the given identity. Finally, you must use deductive reasoning to show that the identity follows from the corollary.

3. What is an identity?

An identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. It is often used to describe a relationship between mathematical expressions or to simplify complex expressions.

4. Can a corollary be used to prove an identity?

Yes, a corollary can be used to prove an identity, as long as the conditions of the corollary apply to the given identity. If the conditions are met, then the identity can be shown to be true using the corollary and deductive reasoning.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when applying a corollary to show an identity?

One common mistake is to incorrectly apply the conditions of the corollary to the given identity. It is important to carefully read and understand the conditions of the corollary before attempting to use it to prove an identity. Another mistake is to use circular reasoning, where the identity being proved is used to prove the corollary that is in turn used to prove the identity. This creates a logical fallacy and should be avoided.