Help Me Tackle This Question: How Do I Start?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of rotational dynamics and conservation of angular momentum in various engineering fields. The importance of these concepts is demonstrated through the use of purely rotational machines in developed societies, such as pistons and cogs. The conversation also highlights the connection between rotational motion and everyday machines, such as the crank in a car's starter motor. Overall, understanding rotational dynamics and conservation of angular momentum is crucial in the field of engineering.
dantetoledo
Homework Statement
What is the importance of rotational dynamics and conservation of angular momentum in various engineering fields?
Relevant Equations
N/A
Please help to answer this question, I don't know how to start, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
dantetoledo said:
Homework Statement:: What is the importance of rotational dynamics and conservation of angular momentum in various engineering fields?
Relevant Equations:: N/A

Please help to answer this question, I don't know how to start, thanks in advance.
Welcome to PF.

We cannot offer tutorial help until you show your best efforts. Can you define "rotational dynamics" and "angular momentum"? Where do you see them come into play in, for example, Mechanical Engineering?

Welcome !
Can you mention two purely rotational machines that have become very important to developed human societies?

Lnewqban said:
Welcome !
Can you mention two purely rotational machines that have become very important to developed human societies?
Pistons, cogs.

dantetoledo said:
Pistons, cogs.
No, no; those are parts. :smile:

Whole machines which internal moving parts only rotate around a shaft (no reciprocating parts).

Lnewqban said:
No, no; those are parts. :smile:

Whole machines which internal moving parts only rotate around a shaft (no reciprocating parts).
Can you give some examples?

dantetoledo said:
Can you give some examples?
No, that is your assignment. You seriously can't think of any machines that we use every day that involve rotational motion? Walk outside and look around...

Likes Lnewqban
In the old days, starting a car involved hand-cranking until electric starter motors replaced the cranks. What was the crank connected to? Hint: It's an eight-lettered F-word.

HandCrank.jpeg

Likes Lnewqban
kuruman said:
What was the crank connected to? Hint: It's an eight-lettered F-word.
Woo-wee, beats me! I'll wait until the OP figures it out...

1. How do I begin my research on this question?

To start tackling this question, it is important to first understand the context and background of the topic. This can involve reading relevant literature, talking to experts in the field, and identifying any gaps in current knowledge. Once you have a solid understanding of the topic, you can begin formulating a research question and developing a research plan.

2. What research methods should I use?

The research methods you choose will depend on the nature of the question and the available resources. Some common methods include conducting experiments, surveys, interviews, or analyzing existing data. It is important to carefully consider the strengths and limitations of each method and choose the one that best fits your research question.

3. How do I organize my research?

Organizing your research can help you stay focused and on track. One approach is to create an outline or concept map to visualize the connections between different ideas and sources. You can also use a reference management tool to keep track of your sources and notes. It is important to regularly review and update your organization system as your research progresses.

4. How do I analyze my data?

The methods for analyzing data will vary depending on the type of data you have collected. For quantitative data, you may use statistical analysis to identify patterns and relationships. For qualitative data, you may use techniques such as coding and thematic analysis to identify themes and patterns. It is important to carefully document your analysis process and be open to unexpected findings.

5. How do I draw conclusions from my research?

Drawing conclusions from your research involves synthesizing your findings and interpreting them in the context of your research question. It is important to critically evaluate your data and consider any limitations or biases that may have influenced your results. You may also want to discuss your findings with colleagues or experts in the field to gain additional insights and perspectives.