1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me understand the concept of hydrolysis

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    On our study guide, our teacher gave us some problems. This one baffles me for some reason.

1. When solid NaCN is added to water, the pH ________________.

a.remains at 7
    b.becomes greater than 7 because of the hydrolysis of Na+
    c.becomes less than 7 because of the hydrolysis of Na+
    d.becomes greater than 7 because of the hydrolysis of CN−
    e.becomes less than 7 because of the hydrolysis of CN−

Answer: d. becomes greater than 7 because of the hydrolysis of CN−

He gave us the answers as well, but I'm having a hard time conceptualizing this.

Why does CN hydrolyze? I thought hydrolysis was the splitting of H2O, and obviously Na got a good chuck of that as well. Didn't Na hydrolyze too?

Obviously, the equation goes:

NaCN + H2O => NaOH + HCN

but that doesn't help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2
    There is a more technical answer, but this should help:

CN- hydrolyzes to form its conjugate acid, HCN, because HCN is a weak acid; weak acids want to form, unlike strong acids. Because the CN- picks up H+ ions, it decreases the amount of H+ in solution and so increases the pH.

Na+ doesn't exactly pick up OH- because NaOH is a strong base. Like strong acids, strong bases don't want to form. So the Na+ doesn't hydrolyze. Your equation is correct, but it doesn't really happen like that in real life.

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    Thanks so much for your reply! I think I keep forgetting that this is only theoretical.

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Not sure what you mean - hydrolysis is as real as anything can be.

--
    methods

6. Oct 22, 2009 #5
    I didn't mean Hydrolysis wasn't real! Rather, I meant that salts and water don't really react to make acid and a base. Right?

7. Oct 22, 2009 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sure they do, in 0.001M solution of KCN over 13% of the cyanide is in the form of HCN - that is, it reacted with water producing acid and OH- (hence solution is basic, with pH slightly over 10).

--
    methods

8. Oct 22, 2009 #7
    I must have misunderstood my teacher. Is that only because HCN is a weak acid? I'm kind of weak when it comes to math.

How would you go backwards with the Ka = [H][A]/[HA] equation? Or, how do you come up with 13%?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook