Chemistry High School idea - Fermentation

Arsh119
I was wondering if anyone could help provide any research areas or research questions that consists of Fermentation

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes BillTre
Arsh119 said:
I was wondering if anyone could help provide any research areas or research questions that consists of Fermentation

Bystander said:
I am unsure how to turn something like it into "research" for a high school student, but I did make a batch of mead, many years ago. Strict care for cleanliness, I put into practice, as best I could. Rinses of equipment with bleach, and very hot water (from freshly boiled, then cooled slightly - without any forced cooling); the raw liquid was boiled briefly before using, and then I cannot remember if I did or did not try to force cool this once placed into the fermentation vessel. Some other details I do not remember well, such as exactly how I closed or covered the opening in the vessel. It was done in a 1-gallon glass jug. The final results, which were revealed at least, AT LEAST one year later, were excellent.

I believe I used champagne yeast. I cannot remember exactly what the procedure was.

NOTE: If anyone wants to try something like this, definitely be careful about sudden temperature changes to glass equipment to avoid cracking or braking.

Likes pinball1970 and jim mcnamara
symbolipoint said:
I am unsure how to turn something like it into "research" for a high school student, but I did make a batch of mead, many years ago. Strict care for cleanliness, I put into practice, as best I could. Rinses of equipment with bleach, and very hot water (from freshly boiled, then cooled slightly - without any forced cooling); the raw liquid was boiled briefly before using, and then I cannot remember if I did or did not try to force cool this once placed into the fermentation vessel. Some other details I do not remember well, such as exactly how I closed or covered the opening in the vessel. It was done in a 1-gallon glass jug. The final results, which were revealed at least, AT LEAST one year later, were excellent.

I believe I used champagne yeast. I cannot remember exactly what the procedure was.

NOTE: If anyone wants to try something like this, definitely be careful about sudden temperature changes to glass equipment to avoid cracking or braking.
Use borosilicate if possible.

Mayhem said:
Use borosilicate if possible.
To fill-in the related detail from post #3, I had bought a one-gallon glass bottle packaged with, I guess, apple juice inside. Much later after I finished the apple juice, when I was preparing for making/starting the mead, I cleaned the bottle...

Likes Whopperone