1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed in calculating Flux of point source (NucEng)

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 2 [itex]\mu[/itex]g sample of [itex]{}^{47}Ca[/itex] is encased in a lead sphere. What is the photon intensity 5 cm from the source? Use some of the tables in your book to find the required information.

2. Relevant equations

Flux/Intensity of photons from a point source:
    [itex]\phi(r)=\frac{S_p}{4\pi r^2} e^{-\mu r} [/itex]
    Where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the total microscopic cross section, r is the radius(distance) from point source and [itex]S_p[/itex] is the particles per unit time.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can and have done these problems when the energy of the sample is given. However I have never done one where the weight of the sample is given. I am lost on this problem. My main question here is: How can I go from weight to photons/second?

I tried calculating [itex]S_p[/itex] by using 1047.1 keV/decay listed in the textbook but I still don't know where to go from there. Ci:=decays/second. How many photons per keV?? Or am I over thinking this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Radioactive calcium 47 has a half-life of 4.7 days and emits a high-energy gamma ray (photon) of 1.3 Mev as well as a beta particle in its decay to scandium 47. - reference

If you know the sample's mass you can calculate the number of atoms present, and based on its half-life you can determine the expected number of photons the sample is emitting per unit of time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook