1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Needed - Newbie to electronics

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    Hi all:

I am trying to experiment with an older (10 plus year old) electronic inspection system to learn how electronic inspection works. The camera I bought is an old Cognex DVT model 630 that requires a 24 volt source. I have been able to get one of our people to rig me up a system with a plus and minus leads.

The issue is the camera has the following pins per their manual:

Pins 1-12: Inputs & Outputs
    Pins 13: Ground
    Pin 14 &15: + 24V

My questions:
    1) How can pin 14 and 15 both be for the positive lead? Is it common that either of the two (14 or 15) pins could be connected to the positive lead?

2) Is pin 13 ground the same as the negative lead?

Many thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2012 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums!

1) Yes, +24 volts should be connected to both pins 14 & 15. It is fairly common to bring power in on two pins, often because it is simply easier to distribute it that way.

2) Yes, the negative lead of your 24 volt supply gets connected to pin 13.

Suggestion: measure your power suppyl before energising it. Since it is homemade it should be within the power limits listed in the manual.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook