Tension and acceleration for two blocks connected by pulley on inclined plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
katzmeow9
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Block A has mass m = 4.0 kg, and block B has mass m= 2.0 kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block B and the horizontal plane is 0.50. The inclined plane is frictionless at the angle 30 degrees and Block A sits on it. The pulley serves only to change the direction of the cord connecting the blocks. The cord has negligible mass. Find (a) the tension in the cord and (b) the magnitude of the acceleration of the blocks.


Homework Equations


FN = Fgx
Fg = mg
a = Fnet/m


The Attempt at a Solution


I found the normal force of block A to be 33.95 N and the Fg to be 39.2 N. For block B, FN should be 19.6 N and fk should be 9.8 N.

Now I'm just confused about what forces cause the tension force (I don't know what to add, subtract, etc. to get FT)

I need help tonight if possible!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Take the components of mg along the inclined plane. It is in the downward direction. Find the net force acting on it.
Then the acceleration of the sliding body. Equate it to that of the body on the table.