1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Not sure what im doing wrong

1. Oct 30, 2006 #1
    Help!!! Not sure what im doing wrong

A 11.4 g bullet is fired horizontally into a 94 g wooden block initially at rest on a horizontal surface. After impact, the block slides 7.5 m before coming to rest. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and surface is 0.650, what was the speed of the bullet immediately before impact? m/s

first thing i did was find the block speed

t = sqrt((7.5)(.65)/9.8)

t = .7053

then i did

V = deltax/t = 7.5/.7053 = 10.6338

mv_1 + Mv_2 = (m + M)V

V = 98.31 which is incorrect but answer is within 10% of the correct value.

I am not sure if im doing this correctly or im just completely off.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your V is on the order of 10% too high. It should be less than 10m/s

t = sqrt(mu*s/g)????

I assume that last V means v_1

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  4. Oct 30, 2006 #3
    V is the velocity of the moving block.

Also i thought to get "t" it is t = sqrt(deltaX/g) but i was not sure how to get it on here since friction play a part of this problem.

t = sqrt(mu*s/g) what is "s"? i know that mu is the kinetic friction and g is gravity but what is s?

5. Oct 30, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is not what it is here
    s is often used for distance. You called it deltaX here. So change my query to

t = sqrt(mu*deltaX/g)??? There is no such equation.

From V_f - V = a*t you get V = -a*t (zero final velocity)
    V is the initial velocity of the block after collision, as you defined it. The acceleration is negative (decleration). So

t = -V/a

apply Newton's second law to find a

(M+m)a = F_f = force of friction = mu*N = mu*(M+m)g

etc

Alternatively, once you identify a from the above, instead of finding the time you can use the equation that relates the change of velocity squared to acceleration and distance moved.

6. Oct 30, 2006 #5
    okay you just completely lost me there.

but i seem to got the answer somehow by doing this way which is probably incorrect to do it and i just got lucky and got it correct (this is what i got from reading what you posted). Im trying to figure out what you are telling me but i cant seem to understand it. sorry if im giving you a much harder time on this, but my professor never went over this (she skip more than half of the chapter) and expect us to know it.

m_bulletv_i = (m + M)g

11.4v_i = (11.4 + 94)(9.8)

11.4v_i = 1032.92
    v_i = 90.61 m/s

7. Oct 30, 2006 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Momentum is conserved at impact, but why do you say m_bulletv_i = (m +M)g? where does the g come from??

8. Oct 30, 2006 #7

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mass time velocity cannot possibly equal mass times acceleration.
    You had this correct earlier
    Just recognize that v_2= 0

Solve the equation I started for you relating (M+m)a to mu*(M+m)*g to find a. Find the value of V from the known stopping distance and the acceleration. Then use V in the equation above to find v_1

9. Oct 30, 2006 #8
    (94 + 11.4)a = .65(94 + 11.4) (9.8)
    105.4a = 671.398
    a = 6.37 is this correct?

10. Oct 31, 2006 #9

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, now proceed per Dan's earlier responses.

11. Oct 31, 2006 #10
    that is where i am stuck how would i go from there if t = -V/a

which is t = -V/6.37

12. Oct 31, 2006 #11

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's best now that you know what a is, to use v^2 = 2as, wher s = 7.5 meters. and a = 6.37m/s/s. This is the initial velocity of the block/bullet system after impact. Then use conservation of momentum to solve for v_bullet. Make sure to include units in your answers.

13. Oct 31, 2006 #12
    Thanks a lot it was correct. Thanks for taking the time on explaining and giving a step by step on how to do this. I forgot about the kinetic equation. Both of you were great help on explaining and taking the time to help me solve this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?