Calculate Distance of Sound Impact: Concrete vs. Air Speeds

• Thread starter Ryan231
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the person sees a heavy stone hit the ground, and then hears two sound waves 1.4 seconds apart. They calculate that the stone hit the ground at 4000m/s, and the sound waves took 488.6m to travel.
Ryan231
Ive been trying this one for a little while now and keep getting myself stumped here... So the question is...

A person sees a heavy stone strike the concrete pavement. A moment later two sounds are heard from the impact: one travels in air and the other in the concrete, and they are 1.4 s apart. How far away did the impact occur? (the speed of sound in concrete is about 4000 m/s)

So far I've got...
VConcrete = 4000m/s
VAir = 349 m/s

I've come up with a model that basically has 3 variables...
D1 = total distance
D2 = distance from rock hitting ground to 1.4s mark
D3 = 1.4s mark to person

Ive found that
Dconcrete = 4000*1.4 = 5600m
Dair = 349*1.4 = 488.6m

So I need to find D2 and D3 Lengths using the above somehow , D3 takes 1.4s for the slower sound, which would be the sound moving through the air.

d3 = 1.4s D2 =?
Person l______________l_________Rock
l_______________________l
D1 = total disance

My diagram got screwed by autoformatting.. everything is shifted to the right

Physics news on Phys.org
help anyone? :frown:

I don't understand what you did. "distance from rock hitting ground to 1.4s mark".

And Dconcrete = 4000 * 1.4s seems wrong as well. 1.4s is the interval between the two sound waves and not the time it takes for the Wave to travel through the concrete.

Actually, I think there's something wrong with the problem itself. Did you write everything correctly?... not miliseconds instead of seconds? Recheck 4000 m/s for the concrete wave too.

OK, the problem is correct.. 4000m/s for concrete is what was given so that's what I'm using... Forget what I put.. I was just brainstorming.. Can you maybe get me started in the right direction?

Maybe switch D2 with T2.. As in when the person hears the first sound the other one is at the 1.4s mark... So I need to find how long it took that sound to travel from the rock to the 1.4s mark and then solve by adding the 2 times together and plugging in one of the equations..

Last edited:
Not sure if you can do that or not.

You should just be able to use D= V(c)*T(1) and D= V(s) * T(2) where you know T(2) is just 1.4s longer than T(1).

so... D2 = V(s) * T2 = 488.6m
D1 = 4000 * T1 = ?

I'm not following?

Both the D are the same, since both waves travel the same distance (from where the rock hit to where you are). T(2) = T(1) + 1.4s. You can't directly solve for anything, but you can use the fact that D(1)=D(2) to combine the equations and then solve for T(1).

FAQ: Calculate Distance of Sound Impact: Concrete vs. Air Speeds

1. What could be causing my sound problem?

There are several potential causes for sound problems, including faulty hardware, outdated drivers, and incorrect audio settings. It is best to troubleshoot each of these possibilities to determine the root cause.

2. How can I fix my sound problem?

The solution to your sound problem will depend on the specific cause. Some common fixes include updating drivers, adjusting audio settings, and checking for hardware issues. It is also helpful to consult online forums or contact customer support for your specific device.

3. Why is my sound distorted or crackling?

Distorted or crackling sound can be due to a variety of reasons, such as a damaged speaker or interference from other electronic devices. It is recommended to test your speakers and try using them in a different location to see if the issue persists.

4. How do I know if my sound card is the problem?

If you are experiencing sound issues, one potential culprit could be your sound card. Some signs that your sound card may be the problem include no sound at all, distorted sound, or sound cutting in and out. You can also try updating your sound card drivers to see if that resolves the issue.

5. Can I fix my sound problem on my own?

In most cases, sound problems can be fixed on your own with some troubleshooting and basic technical knowledge. However, if the issue is due to hardware damage or a faulty sound card, it may be necessary to seek professional help or replace the hardware.