HELP partial fractions driving me crazy

In summary, the problem the person is having is that when they substitute in -3 for x at the end to find A and B, they only get equations in the variable they don't know. They need to find the square root of 3 to make A (0), but they may have confused themselves because 3-x= -(x-3).
jonny f
Hi Guys, can anyone help with this problem?

resolve 3 -x
----------------
(x^2 +3) (x + 3)

The problem I have is with the x^2, when substituting numbers for x at the end to find A and B. I can only use -3

Physics news on Phys.org
jonny f said:
I can only use -3

Why? Once you sub in -3 you will find A(or B, depending on your notation). Then sub in, say, 3. Since you know one variable, this will give you you an equation in only the variable you don't know!

thanks cristo but I think I am missing something here.

3 -x = A(x^2 +3) + B (x + 3)

if x = -3 then A = 2

do I now find the square root of 3 to make A (0)?

I think I may have looked at this for too long now and confused myself!

[tex]\frac{3-x}{(x^2+3)(x+3)}[/itex]
can be written as partial fractions as
[tex]\frac{Ax+B}{x^2+3}+ \frac{C}{x+3}[/tex]
You will need to solve for A, B, and C.
Multiplying both sides by (x+3)(x2+3) you have
(Ax+B)(x+3)+ C(x2+ 3)= 3-x

Setting x= -3 give 9C= 6 or C= 2/3.

Now let x be any two other numbers, say 0 and 1 for simplicity, to get two more equations for A and B.

Halls, setting x=-3 gives 12C=6 or C=1/2

Equating like-power polynomial coefficients yields another way to attack these problems:

x^2: A+C=0
x^1: 3A+B=-1
x^0: 3B+3C=3

The result is three linear equations in three unknowns.

Would it be incorrect of me to notice 3-x = -(x-3), cancel out the common factors to achieve -1/(x^2-3), and therefore ignoring when x=3? Makes it simpler.

Gib Z said:
Would it be incorrect of me to notice 3-x = -(x-3), cancel out the common factors to achieve -1/(x^2-3), and therefore ignoring when x=3? Makes it simpler.

Yes it would be incorrect because there is no factor of (x-3) in the denominator. There is also no factor or (x2-3) in the denominator, I think you need to look at the original post again.

Omg Thanks for correcting me on that, My god i must be going blind...

Thankyou guys, you have all been very helpful, thanks for your time

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used to break down a complex rational expression into simpler fractions. This technique is often used in integration and solving differential equations.

2. Why are partial fractions important?

Partial fractions are important because they allow us to simplify complex expressions and make them easier to work with. They are also used in various mathematical applications such as solving differential equations and evaluating integrals.

3. How do I find the partial fractions of a given expression?

To find the partial fractions of a given expression, you need to follow a specific set of steps. First, factor the denominator of the rational expression into linear factors. Then, write the expression as a sum of fractions with each linear factor as the denominator. Finally, solve for the coefficients using algebraic manipulation.

4. Can partial fractions be used in all rational expressions?

No, partial fractions can only be used for proper rational expressions, which are expressions where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. Improper rational expressions can be rewritten as a polynomial plus a proper rational expression to make them eligible for partial fraction decomposition.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with partial fractions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with partial fractions include not factoring the denominator completely, not writing the expression as a sum of fractions, and not solving for all the unknown coefficients. It is also important to check your work for any algebraic errors, as these can easily occur when manipulating multiple fractions.