Help please getting the LaTeX correct for this vector expression

In summary, LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating technical and scientific documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, computer science, and engineering. To properly format a vector expression in LaTeX, use the \vec{} command followed by the vector's components in curly brackets. The difference between a vector and a scalar is that a vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. When writing vector expressions in LaTeX, some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to use the \vec{} command, using the wrong symbols for vector operations, and not properly enclosing the vector's components in curly brackets. To learn more about using LaTeX for technical and scientific documents, there are many online resources available such as Overleaf, ShareLaTeX,
Dustinsfl
$t\vec{a}$ and $\vec{b}$ where t is a scalar times the vector a.

How can I make $\vec{b-ta}$ look right?

Solved
$$
\overrightarrow{b-ta}
$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The trick was to use the overrightarrow

as in

\overrightarrow{b-ta}

I vould have said that [itex]\vec{b} - t \vec{a}[/itex] was correct.

Likes robphy and topsquark
Yes, but I think they wanted the long arrow.

Long arrows shot from longbows travel farther and are more accurate when hitting a target. (jk)

What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating technical and scientific documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, computer science, and engineering.

How do I properly format a vector expression in LaTeX?

To format a vector expression in LaTeX, use the \vec{} command followed by the vector's components in curly brackets. For example, \vec{a} = (a_1, a_2, a_3) would produce a vector a with components a1, a2, and a3.

What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude. In other words, a vector is represented by both a size and a direction, while a scalar is only represented by a size.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing vector expressions in LaTeX?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing vector expressions in LaTeX include forgetting to use the \vec{} command, using the wrong symbols for vector operations (e.g. using * for dot product instead of \cdot), and not properly enclosing the vector's components in curly brackets.

How can I learn more about using LaTeX for technical and scientific documents?

There are many online resources available for learning more about using LaTeX for technical and scientific documents. Some popular websites include Overleaf, ShareLaTeX, and LaTeX-Tutorial.com. You can also find various books and tutorials on the subject.