1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help plotting 2 functions on Maple 13

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    1. I have 2 problems in which I'm asked to plot a function using maple(sorry i don't know latex yet):

a. f(x)=[x^3-1]/[sqrt(x)-1] - find the lim x->1
    Here i recieve an empty graph for some reason... :(

b. f(x)=[tan(3x)]/[tan(5x)] - find the lim x->0
    When i attempt to plot this graph, i recieve the message: "Warning, unable to evaluate the function to numeric values in the region; see the plotting command's help page to ensure the calling sequence is correct" no matter how much i tweak the domain of the plot.

Why can't I plot these functions??

2. Maple commands used (f=function, a=lowest x value, b=highest x value)

plot(f,x=a..b);

a. I've used a table of values to estimate that lim x->1 is equal to 6

b. I've used a table of values to estimate that lim x->0 is equal to 3/5

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2
    For (a) I entered the command:

plot((x^3-1)/(sqrt(x)-1), x = 0 .. 10)

into Maple (version 11) and it plotted okay. Are you inputting "f" or the actual function? Did you define f with "f:="? When I entered either function into Maple with the square brackets it didn't work. It did work fine without them though. By a brief look at the help files, "plot" with square brackets is for parametric equations, so probably not what you're looking for.

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3
    Oh. Maybe it's because I was using Maple v.13. I'll retry on v.11.

5. Sep 29, 2009 #4
    I haven't used Maple 13, but it seems very unlikely to me that it can't plot. So you should be able to plot a graph in it, even if the language isn't the same as in v11. Did you try it in v13 with round brackets () instead of square []?

6. Oct 1, 2009 #5
    K its working perfectly now that I used the round parenthesis instead of square! Thx mathie, won't make that mistake again!

7. Oct 1, 2009 #6
    Great! Good luck with the rest of your work.

8. Oct 2, 2009 #7
    If you don't have to use Maple (like for homework or something), then I would suggest using Wolfram Alpha. For example, your first function's graph would be inputted something like http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+(x^3-1)/(sqrt(x)-1)+from+0+to+3". Being online, it's always available and can interrupt what you type, so you don't have to be as strict with syntax.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook