Help reading Noise Characteristic graph for sub-nanovolt amp

In summary, the conversation is about a specific product and its noise characteristic graph. The person is confused about which filter is used to create the graph and is looking to figure out how the graph would look with a specific filter setting. They are struggling to find an exact answer and may need to contact the manufacturer or find a different resource. They also mention a paper that may provide some explanation on the topic.
ArthurRukin
These are the links to the specific product I am looking at and its noise characteristic graph.

http://www.emelectronics.co.uk/a20.html
http://www.emelectronics.co.uk/graphs/a20graph.htm

I understand the graph for the most part, but I am confused about which one of the four filters that are listed in the product description is used to create the graph. The filters give different time constants, but none of them are 20 seconds, which is what the time constant is in the case of the graph.

My ultimate goal is to try to figure out what the graph would look like with a 1k filter setting in the amp.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I tried :frown: but they are mixing reference points and their graphs can be only roughly interpolated. I recommend you ask the manufacturer, or find a different one.
That said, here is a paper that may help explain things a bit. http://noisecom.com/~/media/Noisecom/noisebasics.ashx

EDIT: added link

Last edited:

1. What is a sub-nanovolt amp?

A sub-nanovolt amp refers to an electronic amplifier that is capable of amplifying extremely small electrical signals, typically in the range of nanovolts (10^-9 volts) or below. This level of sensitivity is necessary for applications such as biological and chemical sensors, precision measurements, and low-noise audio amplification.

2. What is a noise characteristic graph?

A noise characteristic graph, also known as a noise spectrum or noise power density graph, is a graphical representation of the amount of noise present in an electronic system over a range of frequencies. It is typically plotted on a logarithmic scale and can provide valuable information about the noise sources and characteristics of the system.

3. How do I interpret a noise characteristic graph?

To interpret a noise characteristic graph, you should first look at the shape and slope of the graph. A flat or horizontal line indicates white noise, which is noise that is evenly distributed across all frequencies. A sloping line indicates pink noise, which has more low-frequency components. Additionally, you should look at the amplitude of the noise at different frequencies to determine the level of noise present in the system.

4. What factors affect the noise characteristic graph for a sub-nanovolt amp?

The noise characteristic graph for a sub-nanovolt amp can be affected by various factors, including the design and quality of the amplifier, the type and value of the components used, the temperature and operating conditions, and external sources of interference. Additionally, the noise characteristic graph can also be affected by the type of measurement being performed and the sensitivity of the measuring instrument.

5. How can I reduce noise in a sub-nanovolt amp?

To reduce noise in a sub-nanovolt amp, you can take several measures such as using high-quality components, shielding the amplifier from external interference, minimizing the length of signal traces and connections, and optimizing the temperature and operating conditions. It is also important to carefully design the amplifier circuit and consider the trade-offs between noise and other performance parameters.