*HELP* Rearrange Equation Using Trig Identities

In summary, the conversation is about rearranging Equation(1) to make Equation(2) using trigonometric identities. The correct identities to use are cos^2(θ-θo) --> ½(1+cos2(θ-θo)) and sin^2(θ-θo) --> ½(1-cos2(θ-θo)). The final solution involves defining x=(θ-θo) to simplify the equations and then factoring out a common term, resulting in E(θ)=2E0 + ½(∆R)^2((c(x)-c(y))cos(2(θ-θo)) + (c(x)+c(y))).
AnnaSuxCalc
Hi Helpers:blushing:, the following is my problem:
I have to rearrange Equation(1) to make Equation(2) using trigonometric identities

(1): E(θ)=2Eo + (ΔR)^2 (c(x)cos^2(θ-θo) + c(y)sin^2(θ-θo))

(2): E(θ)=2Eo + ½(ΔR)^2 ((c(x)-c(y))cos(2(θ-θo)) + (c(x) + c(y))

I was able to get everything withing the bracket in Equation(2) but i cannot figure out how it changes from (ΔR)^2 to ½(ΔR)^2 ?:confused:
(btw: when it says Eo I mean E sub 0 and θ sub 0, when I say c(x) or c(y) I really mean c sub x, also by ^2 i mean squared of course))
I really hope someone can help me out here!:shy:

Also I used the Identity:
cos^2(θ-θo) --> ½(1+cos2(θ-θo))
and
sin^2(θ-θo) --> ½(1-cos2(θ-θo))

for '(θ-θo)' I just use something easier like A for example, anyways like i said i cannot understand the ½(ΔR)^2 in the 2nd equation!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi AnnaSuxCalc! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(use the X2 and X2 tags just above the reply box :wink:)
AnnaSuxCalc said:
I have to rearrange Equation(1) to make Equation(2) using trigonometric identities

(1): E(θ)=2Eo + (ΔR)^2 (c(x)cos^2(θ-θo) + c(y)sin^2(θ-θo))

(2): E(θ)=2Eo + ½(ΔR)^2 ((c(x)-c(y))cos(2(θ-θo)) + (c(x) + c(y))

cos^2(θ-θo) --> ½(1+cos2(θ-θo))
and
sin^2(θ-θo) --> ½(1-cos2(θ-θo))

Yes, you have exactly the correct trigonometric identities …

the 1/2 in both of them should still be in equation (2) …

i don't know why it disappears for you :redface: :smile:

Hey Timmy, thanks I noticed the sub and superscript after I posted the message, I tried to edit but it didn't work :redface: haha
I'm starting to think that maybe my Prof posted the question wrong :grumpy:

So this is my FINAL Solution: here x = (θ-θ0) --> to make it a bit simpler for me
Starting with Equation(1)
E(θ)=2E0 + (∆R)2(cx(½(1+cos2x)) + cy(½(1-cos2x)))
=2E0 + (∆R)2(cx(½+½cos2x) + cy(½-½cos2x))
=2E0 + (∆R)2(½cx + cx(½cos2x) + ½cy - cy(½cos2x))
=2E0 +½(∆R)2cx + (∆R)2(cx(½cos2x)) + ½(∆R)2cy - (∆R)2(cy(½cos2x)) --> factor out the ½(∆R)2
=2E0 + ½(∆R)2((cx - cy)cos(2x) + (cx+cy))

does this look like the correct way?:uhh:

AnnaSuxCalc said:
So this is my FINAL Solution: here x = (θ-θ0) --> to make it a bit simpler for me
Starting with Equation(1)
=2E0 + (∆R)2(cx(½+½cos2x) + cy(½-½cos2x))
=2E0 + (∆R)2(½cx + cx(½cos2x) + ½cy - cy(½cos2x))
=2E0 +½(∆R)2cx + (∆R)2(cx(½cos2x)) + ½(∆R)2cy - (∆R)2(cy(½cos2x)) --> factor out the ½(∆R)2
=2E0 + ½(∆R)2((cx - cy)cos(2x) + (cx+cy))

does this look like the correct way?:uhh:

Yes, that's it :smile:

except you could cut out a few lines … just do:

=2E0 + ½(∆R)2((cx - cy)cos(2x) + (cx+cy)) :wink:

1. What is the purpose of using trigonometric identities to rearrange equations?

The purpose of using trigonometric identities to rearrange equations is to simplify and manipulate equations involving trigonometric functions. This can help in solving problems related to angles, triangles, and other geometric shapes.

2. Can I use any trigonometric identity to rearrange equations?

No, you cannot use any trigonometric identity to rearrange equations. You need to use the correct identity that is suitable for the given equation or problem. It is important to have a good understanding of the different trigonometric identities and how they can be applied.

3. How do I know when to use a specific trigonometric identity?

You can determine which trigonometric identity to use by looking at the given equation or problem. For example, if the equation involves both sine and cosine functions, you can use the Pythagorean identity to simplify it. If the equation involves tangent and cotangent functions, you can use the reciprocal and quotient identities to rearrange it.

4. Are there any tips for solving equations using trigonometric identities?

Yes, there are a few tips that can make solving equations using trigonometric identities easier. These include recognizing common patterns, using substitution, and checking your work by plugging in values for the variables.

5. Can I use trigonometric identities to solve all types of equations?

No, trigonometric identities can only be used to solve equations that involve trigonometric functions. They cannot be used for equations involving other types of functions, such as exponential or logarithmic functions. In those cases, you will need to use different methods or techniques to solve the equations.