Is my solution to Buffon's needle OK?

• I
  • Thread starter SamRoss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Needle
In summary, Buffon's needle problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the probability of a needle of a given length falling on a set of parallel lines when randomly dropped. To solve it, one needs to use the formula P = 2l/pi*d and Monte Carlo simulation. The significance of the problem lies in its demonstration of using probability and geometry in solving mathematical problems and its applications in various fields. The validity of the solution can be checked by comparing it to known analytical solutions and running multiple simulations. The problem can also be generalized to other shapes, but the complexity of calculations and simulations may vary.
SamRoss
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
My solution is so much simpler than the solution provided that I'm doubting myself.
Buffon's needle was presented as a problem in David Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics". In the book, a needle is of length l is dropped randomly on a sheet of ruled paper with the lines of the paper also a distance l apart. It is required to find the probability of the needle crossing one of the lines. I reasoned as follows...

P (needle crosses a line) = P (angle between the needle and a perpendicular to the lines is Θ) * P (the needle crosses a line, given the angle Θ)

Taking symmetry into account, I only considered Θ taking on values from 0 to π/2. Then the probability that Θ ends up being between Θ and Θ+dΘ is ##\frac {dΘ} {π/2} = \frac 2 π dΘ##.
Next, also taking symmetry into account, I only considered the space between one pair of the ruled lines. The projection that the needle makes with the perpendicular is ##l\cosΘ## and since the lines are also l apart, the probability, given Θ, that the needle crosses a line is ##\frac {l\cosΘ} {l}=\cosΘ##. So...
P (needle crosses a line) = ##\frac 2 π\int_0^{π/2} \cosΘ \, dΘ=\frac 2 π##.

This is the answer shown on the online answer key, but the explanation is so much longer I thought maybe there was a mistake in my reasoning and I only arrived at the right answer by coincidence. This happens to my students sometimes (I teach middle school math). They'll make mistake after mistake while solving an equation and magically end up with the correct solution. I want to be sure the same thing is not happening to me.

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
I had to read it twice to visualize what you're talking about. But it looks valid to me.

Likes SamRoss
SamRoss said:
Summary:: My solution is so much simpler than the solution provided that I'm doubting myself.

Buffon's needle was presented as a problem in David Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics". In the book, a needle is of length l is dropped randomly on a sheet of ruled paper with the lines of the paper also a distance l apart. It is required to find the probability of the needle crossing one of the lines. I reasoned as follows...

P (needle crosses a line) = P (angle between the needle and a perpendicular to the lines is Θ) * P (the needle crosses a line, given the angle Θ)

Taking symmetry into account, I only considered Θ taking on values from 0 to π/2. Then the probability that Θ ends up being between Θ and Θ+dΘ is ##\frac {dΘ} {π/2} = \frac 2 π dΘ##.
Next, also taking symmetry into account, I only considered the space between one pair of the ruled lines. The projection that the needle makes with the perpendicular is ##l\cosΘ## and since the lines are also l apart, the probability, given Θ, that the needle crosses a line is ##\frac {l\cosΘ} {l}=\cosΘ##. So...
P (needle crosses a line) = ##\frac 2 π\int_0^{π/2} \cosΘ \, dΘ=\frac 2 π##.

This is the answer shown on the online answer key, but the explanation is so much longer I thought maybe there was a mistake in my reasoning and I only arrived at the right answer by coincidence. This happens to my students sometimes (I teach middle school math). They'll make mistake after mistake while solving an equation and magically end up with the correct solution. I want to be sure the same thing is not happening to me.

You may need just a bit more justification, but I think it's a nice shortcut method.

Likes SamRoss

1. What is Buffon's needle problem?

Buffon's needle problem is a mathematical thought experiment that involves randomly dropping a needle onto a lined surface and calculating the probability that the needle will intersect one of the lines.

2. How can I solve Buffon's needle problem?

There are various methods for solving Buffon's needle problem, including the use of calculus, geometric probability, and Monte Carlo simulations. Each method has its own advantages and limitations.

3. Is there a definitive solution to Buffon's needle problem?

Yes, there is a definitive solution to Buffon's needle problem, which involves using the formula P = 2L/(nπd), where P is the probability of intersection, L is the length of the needle, n is the number of lines, and d is the distance between the lines.

4. How do I know if my solution to Buffon's needle problem is correct?

To ensure the accuracy of your solution, it is important to double-check your calculations and assumptions. You can also compare your results with known solutions or use a computer program to simulate the experiment and verify your solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of Buffon's needle problem?

Buffon's needle problem has been used in various fields, such as physics, statistics, and computer science. It has been applied to estimate the value of pi, analyze the behavior of stock prices, and test the randomness of computer-generated numbers.