Help solve for x in a=g(sin(x)-Uk*cos(x))

• Thread starter ha9981
  • Start date
In summary: Use the quadratic formula to solve for \tan x and then solve for x.In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to solve for x in the equation a/g = sin(x) - Uk*cos(x). One method involves using trigonometric identities and manipulating the equation to find the solution, while another involves using a quadric equation for tan(x) and solving for x using the quadratic formula.
ha9981
I want to solve for x

I only get as for as
a/g = sin(x)-Uk*cos(x)
a/gcos(x) = tan(x) - Uk

im not sure which trig id to use after that! I think the Uk is probably throwing me off. (Its a constant, constant of kinetic friction)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would recommend using either cos(x+y)= cos(x)cos(y)- sin(x)sin(y) or sin(x+y)= sin(x)cos(y)+ sin(x)sin(y). (I don't think it matters which.)

That is, think of cos(x)cos(y)- sin(x)sin(y)= sin(x)- Uk cos(x) so that "cos(y)= -1" and "sin(y)= -Uk". That won't work directly because that gives [itex]sin^2(y)+ cos^2(y)= 1+ Uk^2[/itex] rather than 1. But a way to fix that is to multiply both sides of the equation by [itex]\sqrt{1+ Uk^2}[/itex].

Doing that gives a/g = sin(x)-Uk*cos(x)
[tex]\frac{a}{g\sqrt{1+ Uk^2}}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+ Uk^2}}- \frac{Uk}{\sqrt{1+Uk^2}}cos(x)[/tex].
Now, comparing those to sin(x+y) we would have [itex]sin(y)= -\frac{Uk}{\sqrt{1+ Uk^2}}[/itex] and [itex]cos(y)= -\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+ Uk^2}}[/itex]

Now your equation becomes [itex]sin(x+y)=\frac{a}{g\sqrt{1+Uk^2}}[/itex] so
[tex]x+ y= arcsin(\frac{a}{g\sqrt{1+ Uk^2}}[/tex]
with [itex]y= -arcsin(\frac{Uk}{\sqrt{1+Uk^2}}[/itex].

That is,
[tex]x= arcsin(\frac{a}{g\sqrt{1+ Uk^2}}- arcsin(\frac{Uk}{\sqrt{1+ Uk^2}}[/tex]

is that the easiest way? because that seems really hard. i heard of another way in which u incorporate sinx/cosx = tanx

I tried this:

a/g = sin(x) - Ucos(x)

a/gcos(x) = tanx - U

a^2/g^2 cos^2(x) = (sec^2(x) - 1) - U^2

a^2/g^2 = 1-cos^2(x) - U^2cos^2(x)a^2/g^2 -1 = (-1-u^2) cos^2(x)
cosx = sqrt( (a^2/g^2 -1 ) / (-1-u^2) )
x=arccos (sqrt( (a^2/g^2 -1 ) / (-1-u^2) ) )

but i messed up somewhere because ans of x won't work!

ha9981 said:
a/gcos(x) = tanx - U

a^2/g^2 cos^2(x) = (sec^2(x) - 1) - U^2
You cannot square the terms on the RHS individually.

But your idea could work. For example you could use
[tex]
\frac{a^2}{g^2\cos^2 x}=(\tan x-Uk)^2
[/tex]
and the identity
[tex]
\frac{1}{\cos^2 x}=1+\tan^2 x
[/tex]
on the LHS. Make sure you factor out correctly the RHS and then you will get a quadric equation for [itex]\tan x[/itex]

FAQ: Help solve for x in a=g(sin(x)-Uk*cos(x))

1. What does "solve for x" mean?

"Solving for x" means finding the value of the variable x that satisfies the given equation or expression. In other words, it is the process of determining the numerical value of x that makes the equation true.

2. How do I solve for x in a trigonometric equation?

To solve for x in a trigonometric equation, you can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to isolate x on one side of the equation. Then, you can use inverse trigonometric functions or a calculator to find the numerical value of x.

3. What is the significance of the Uk and g in the equation?

The Uk represents the coefficient of kinetic friction, which is the force that resists the motion of an object on a surface. The g represents the acceleration due to gravity, which is a constant that determines the rate at which objects fall towards the earth.

4. Can I solve for x without knowing the values of Uk and g?

No, you cannot solve for x without knowing the values of Uk and g. These variables are necessary to calculate the numerical value of x because they affect the overall outcome of the equation.

5. Are there any tips for solving trigonometric equations?

Some tips for solving trigonometric equations include using trigonometric identities, converting between radians and degrees, and checking for extraneous solutions. It is also important to practice and understand the basic principles of trigonometry to effectively solve equations.