1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help solving a fraction integral

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int[/tex](5sin xcosxdx)/(2+52sinx)

3. The attempt at a solution

I set u = sinx and du = cosxdx which gives me...

[tex]\int[/tex](5udu)/(2+52u). I just need a little push as where to go from here, not the entire solution, just a push as what to do next. I have a feeling I need to use ln and know that ar = r ln(a) but don't know if I am supposed to use that on the 5u or not, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    U could take this subs, at the very beginning

[tex]\int\frac{5^{sin(x)}cosxdx}{2+(5^{sinx})^2}[/tex] so taking another substitution here will work quite nicely..

[tex] 5^{sinx}=\sqrt2 u=>\sqrt2 du=5^{sinx}cos(x)ln(5)dx[/tex] now i guess you know how things turn out to be, right?

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    That helped a lot, would the final answer then be (1/ln(5)[tex]\sqrt{}2[/tex])tan-1(5sinx/[tex]\sqrt{}2[/tex]) ? The only thing I was not sure about was the ln(5) as far as how to deal with that.

5. Sep 26, 2008 #4
    take the derivative of your final answer and see if you get the integrand, then its okay, cuz i won't bother to do the whole thing. The general format of it looks okay, but i didn't check the details.

6. Sep 26, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

52u= (5u)2 so the next step would be the substitution v= 5u, dv= ln(5) 5udu.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?