Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help: Sound created over/in subspace? (SciFi)

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    Help: Sound created over/in subspace??? (SciFi)

I know nothing, called basic high school physics and chemistry. However, do not hold back in your answers I do find ways to comprehend what people tell me.

This might be a silly question but since audible "sounds" can't travel over empty 3dimensional space and there is no such thing as sub-space would it be possible to "hear" frequencies and disturbances somehow use a "radar" other than radio telescopes over extreme distances???

I know I am only thinking in waves and not other energy forms but this is the basics of my (lack of) knowledge. This is SciFi but I am pretty serious as to where this answer takes me. Science Fiction always amazes me because it's only fiction for a small amount of time. Compared to civilization and even the universes timeline.

Thanks and I hope I am not wasting your relative time!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Re: Help: Sound created over/in subspace??? (SciFi)

There is no such thing as Sub-Space. It is pure fiction, invented to allow FTL travel and communication and etc. Nor do we know of any other dimensions other than the standard 3 for space and 1 for time.

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3
    Re: Help: Sound created over/in subspace??? (SciFi)

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook