1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help to prove a reduction formula?

1. Dec 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let In = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{-1}[/tex] (1-x[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{n}[/tex] dx.

Use integration by parts to show that In = ([tex]\frac{2n}{2n+1}[/tex]) In-1 for n [tex]\geq[/tex]1.

(The integral above is supposed to be between the limits -1 and 1... sorry I couldn't figure out how to make the limits appear properly.)

2. Relevant equations

Integration by parts.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried several different ways.

First of all I tried letting u=(1-x[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{n}[/tex] and dv/dx = 1. Hence, du/dx = (1-x[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{n-1}[/tex](-2x) and v=x. Using this I got In = n [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{-1}[/tex] 2x2(1-x[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{n-1}[/tex] dx. This didn't seem to be very helpful.

I then tried writing In as [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{-1}[/tex] (1+x)[tex]^{n}[/tex](1-x)[tex]^{n}[/tex] dx, and letting u be (1+x)[tex]^{n}[/tex] and dv/dx be (1-x)[tex]^{n}[/tex]. I thought this was a pretty clever idea, but it didn't give me what I wanted. I got In = [tex]\frac{n}{n+1}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{-1}[/tex] (1-x2)n-1(1-x)2 dx, which can be written equivalently as [tex]\frac{n}{n+1}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{-1}[/tex] (1-x)n+1(1+x)n-1 dx. I then tried doing another integration by parts, letting u=(1+x)n-1 and dv/dx=(1-x)n+1, and this gave me In = ([tex]\frac{n}{n+1}[/tex])([tex]\frac{n-1}{n+2}[/tex]) [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{-1}[/tex] (1-x2)n-2(1-x)4 dx, or equivalently ([tex]\frac{n}{n+1}[/tex])([tex]\frac{n-1}{n+2}[/tex]) [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{-1}[/tex] (1+x)n-2(1-x)n+2 dx , but I still didn't seem to be any closer.

The other thing I tried was writing In = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{-1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{1-x^2[/tex])2n dx, and letting u = ([tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex])2n and dv/dx = 1. This gave me a slightly more interesting result of In = 2n [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{-1}[/tex] x2 ([tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex])2n-2 dx , i.e. In = 2n [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{-1}[/tex] x2 ([tex]1-x^2}[/tex])n-1 dx, but I wasn't sure what to do next.

Please help... what should I be doing?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think it would make a lot more sense to let u= 1-x2 and dv= (1- x2)n-1dx.

4. Dec 6, 2008 #3

But then I would have to integrate (1- x2)n-1dx, and I don't know how to do that when n is unknown. Am I missing something? I tried to integrate it using MAPLE, and it gave me something useless to do with the hypergeometric function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?