Help Understanding this simple proof? [lim x->3 x^2 = 9]

• Thread starter nickadams
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
So the steps do end up proving the goal. In summary, the conversation discusses confusion with example number 4 of a proof and the choice of using a distance of 1 for x from 3. The conversation also questions the use of both restrictions, |x-3|<1 and |x-3|<ε/7, and how the steps of the proof lead to the desired result. Clarifications are requested.
nickadams
Edit: Sorry i seem to have lost my attachment! I will upload it again tomorrow when i get to a scanner...

Disclaimer: I have no experience with proofs so go easy on me :redface:

I don't understand what they are doing on example number 4 of the attached page. It makes sense until they say, "it is reasonable to assume that x is within a distance 1 from 3.." Why not a distance .1, or .5, or .001? How were they able to come up with the arbitrary (to me) number "1" and say that is the distance x is from 3? And how did they know this would work for the purposes of their proof?

Also I don't the part under showing that this works where they seem to use both conditions |x-3|<1 and |x-3|<ε/7 even though they said earlier they would only use the smaller of the two restrictions... Because if they use both restrictions, isn't that restricting the value of ε to be <7, because if ε was greater than 7 then both restrictions could not be satisfied?

Lastly, I have trouble understanding how all their steps even end up proving anything? I think the goal was to prove that a δ>0 exists such that if 0<|x-3|<δ is true then it will guarantee the truth of |x^2 -9|<ε for all ε>0. But I am extremely confused about how their steps prove that...

Any clarification will be greatly appreciated!

nickadams

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
nickadams said:
Disclaimer: I have no experience with proofs so go easy on me :redface:
____________________________________________________________________I don't understand what they are doing on example number 4 of the attached page. It makes sense until they say, "it is reasonable to assume that x is within a distance 1 from 3.." Why not a distance .1, or .5, or .001? How were they able to come up with the arbitrary (to me) number "1" and say that is the distance x is from 3? And how did they know this would work for the purposes of their proof?

.1, .5 and .001 would have worked as well. They chose 1 because 1 is easy to work with, I guess.

Also I don't the part under showing that this works where they seem to use both conditions |x-3|<1 and |x-3|<ε/7 even though they said earlier they would only use the smaller of the two restrictions... Because if they use both restrictions, isn't that restricting the value of ε to be <7, because if ε was greater than 7 then both restrictions could not be satisfied?

We take [itex]\delta[/itex] the smallest of 1 and [itex]\varepsilon/7[/itex]. So we have both
[itex]\delta \leq 1[/itex] and [itex]\delta \leq \varepsilon/7[/itex].

By assumption, we know that

[tex]|x-3|<\delta[/tex]

Thus

[tex]|x-3|<\delta\leq 1~\text{and}~|x-3|<\varepsilon/7[/tex]

So we can use both |x-3|<1 and [itex]|x-3|<\varepsilon/7[/itex].

Lastly, I have trouble understanding how all their steps even end up proving anything? I think the goal was to prove that a δ>0 exists such that if 0<|x-3|<δ is true then it will guarantee the truth of |x^2 -9|<ε for all ε>0. But I am extremely confused about how their steps prove that...

Given a certain [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex], we choose [itex]\delta=\min\{1,\varepsilon/3\}[/itex]. We must prove that if [itex]|x-3|<\delta[/itex], then [itex]|x^2-9|<\varepsilon[/itex].
Step (2) indeed assumes that [itex]|x-3|<\delta[/itex] and deduces [itex]|x^2-9|<\varepsilon[/itex].

1. What is the concept of limits in mathematics?

Limits are a fundamental concept in mathematics, particularly in calculus. They represent the value that a function approaches as the input (or independent variable) approaches a certain value. In other words, it is the value that a function "approaches" but may never actually reach.

2. How do you evaluate a limit?

To evaluate a limit, you can either use algebraic manipulation or graphing techniques. Algebraically, you can substitute the approaching value into the function and solve for the resulting value. Graphically, you can plot the function and observe the behavior of the graph as the input approaches the given value.

3. Can you explain the proof for lim x->3 x^2 = 9?

The proof for lim x->3 x^2 = 9 involves using the definition of a limit, which states that for a function f(x) and a value a, the limit of f(x) as x approaches a is equal to L if for every positive number ε, there exists a positive number δ such that if 0 < |x-a| < δ, then |f(x)-L| < ε. In this case, we can show that for any ε > 0, if we choose δ = min{1, ε/6}, then whenever 0 < |x-3| < δ, we have |x^2 - 9| < ε, which satisfies the definition of a limit and proves that lim x->3 x^2 = 9.

4. Why is the limit of x^2 at x=3 equal to 9?

The limit of x^2 as x approaches 3 is equal to 9 because as x gets closer and closer to 3, the values of x^2 also get closer and closer to 9. This can be seen by graphing the function or by evaluating x^2 at values approaching 3, such as 2.9, 2.99, 2.999, etc. As x gets closer to 3, the values of x^2 approach 9, but they never actually reach 9, hence the concept of a limit.

5. How is the concept of limits used in real-world applications?

Limits are used in various real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, limits are used to calculate instantaneous rates of change, which are important in understanding the motion of objects. They are also used in economics to understand the behavior of markets and in computer science to analyze algorithms and data structures.