1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Understanding this simple proof? [lim x->3 x^2 = 9]

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    Edit: Sorry i seem to have lost my attachment! I will upload it again tomorrow when i get to a scanner...

Disclaimer: I have no experience with proofs so go easy on me :redface:

I don't understand what they are doing on example number 4 of the attached page. It makes sense until they say, "it is reasonable to assume that x is within a distance 1 from 3.." Why not a distance .1, or .5, or .001? How were they able to come up with the arbitrary (to me) number "1" and say that is the distance x is from 3? And how did they know this would work for the purposes of their proof?

Also I don't the part under showing that this works where they seem to use both conditions |x-3|<1 and |x-3|<ε/7 even though they said earlier they would only use the smaller of the two restrictions... Because if they use both restrictions, isn't that restricting the value of ε to be <7, because if ε was greater than 7 then both restrictions could not be satisfied?

Lastly, I have trouble understanding how all their steps even end up proving anything? I think the goal was to prove that a δ>0 exists such that if 0<|x-3|<δ is true then it will guarantee the truth of |x^2 -9|<ε for all ε>0. But I am extremely confused about how their steps prove that...

Any clarification will be greatly appreciated!

nickadams

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

.1, .5 and .001 would have worked as well. They chose 1 because 1 is easy to work with, I guess.

We take [itex]\delta[/itex] the smallest of 1 and [itex]\varepsilon/7[/itex]. So we have both
    [itex]\delta \leq 1[/itex] and [itex]\delta \leq \varepsilon/7[/itex].

By assumption, we know that

[tex]|x-3|<\delta[/tex]

Thus

[tex]|x-3|<\delta\leq 1~\text{and}~|x-3|<\varepsilon/7[/tex]

So we can use both |x-3|<1 and [itex]|x-3|<\varepsilon/7[/itex].

Given a certain [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex], we choose [itex]\delta=\min\{1,\varepsilon/3\}[/itex]. We must prove that if [itex]|x-3|<\delta[/itex], then [itex]|x^2-9|<\varepsilon[/itex].
    Step (2) indeed assumes that [itex]|x-3|<\delta[/itex] and deduces [itex]|x^2-9|<\varepsilon[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook