Help with a Gravitational Attraction problem

In summary: I got:130m asteroid: -0.00354m/s420m asteroid: 0.000588m/sIn summary, two asteroids of 1.0x107kg and 6.0x107kg respectively, initially at rest in interstellar space, experience mutual gravitational attraction and fall towards each other on a straight line. After calculating the initial velocities as zero, conservation of energy and momentum can be used to find the final velocities for each asteroid. For the totally inelastic collision in part B, the initial velocities will be the final velocities from part A. The final velocities can be calculated using the equation vf = (m1v1 + m2v2)/(m1 + m2). The total potential
jessicak

Homework Statement

Two asteroids of 1.0x107kg and 6.0x107kg respectively, are initially at rest in interstellar space separated by a large distance. Thier mutual gravitational attraction then causes then to fall toward each other on a straight line. Assume the asteroids are spheres of radius 130m and 420m respectively.

A) what is the velocity of each asteroid before they hit?
130m, v=? 420m asteroid, v=
What is the kinetic energy of each?
What is the total kinetic energy?
B) The collision is totally inelastic. What is the velocity of the joined asteroids after they hit?

Homework Equations

K=1/2mv2
vf = (m1v1 + m2v2)/(m1 + m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea about how to get the initial velocities, but I know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
jessicak said:
two asteroids ... Are initially at rest in interstellar space
... ... ...
jessicak said:
i have absolutely no idea about how to get the initial velocities, but i know where to go from there.

They are at rest initially. The problem asks to find the velocity of the asteroids right before their collision. They are attracted to each other, and therefore have some velocity before they hit.

Part A) is one process----coming together from far apart.
part B) is another---the collision.

For part A, the initial velocities are zero; you can use conservation of energy/momentum to find the final velocities.

For part B, the initial velocities will be the 'final velocities' of part A, right? Then you can plug into the equations you gave to find the final quantities.

It may help to describe the difference between the total potential energy of the two asteroids when their centers are a large distance d from each other and when their surfaces are just touching. What happens to this energy difference when d is very much larger than the sum of the two radii, and can you use this to calculate a good approximation to its value?

ok, so i have all the questions of part a answered

130m asteroid: -0.00354m/s
420m asteroid: 0.000588m/s

However, when I try to use the formula for the final velocity (vf= (m1v1 +m2v2)/(m1 +m2) I get -1.88x10-6 which my online homework rejects. Thoughts?

If they start at rest, what can you say about their velocity after they stuck together? (hint: think about total momentum, before and after collision)

jessicak said:
130m asteroid: -0.00354m/s
420m asteroid: 0.000588m/s

By the way, did those values get accept by your online homework? Using the numbers in your first post I get speeds that are slightly different.

Yes, they were. I was a little surprised by the values, though.

1. What is gravitational attraction?

Gravitational attraction is the force that exists between any two objects with mass. It is the force that causes objects to be pulled towards each other.

2. How is gravitational attraction calculated?

The force of gravitational attraction is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force (F) between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses (m1 and m2) and inversely proportional to the square of the distance (r) between them. The formula is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2).

3. What factors affect gravitational attraction?

The two main factors that affect gravitational attraction are the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the masses of the objects, the stronger the gravitational attraction will be. On the other hand, the farther apart the objects are, the weaker the gravitational force will be.

4. Can gravitational attraction be reduced or eliminated?

Gravitational attraction is a natural force and cannot be eliminated. However, its strength can be reduced by increasing the distance between the objects or reducing their masses.

5. How is gravitational attraction related to the motion of objects?

The force of gravitational attraction is responsible for the motion of objects in our solar system. It keeps planets in orbit around the sun and moons in orbit around planets. It also plays a role in the motion of objects on Earth, such as the tides caused by the moon's gravitational pull.