1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the difference of heights of the objects

Tags:
  1. Oct 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two particles are thrown horizontally from different heights with equal initial speeds. Find the difference of heights h1-h2 if the object fall to the ground at the same time.

2. Relevant equations
    h=voyt+gt^2/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    As voy=vox=0, t1=t2, the difference of heights is 0. Am i right?
    Image http://oi64.tinypic.com/2cpqr6a.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2016 #2
    How can the difference in heights be 0 if the problem statement says that they are thrown "from different heights".

Is there a figure with this problem, or is there any additional information? How can two particles be thrown horizontally from different heights at the same speed and land on the ground at the same time? Are they thrown at different times? There seems to be missing information in this problem.

4. Oct 31, 2016 #3
    I added the image http://oi64.tinypic.com/2cpqr6a.jpg from the book

5. Oct 31, 2016 #4
    I can see that the objects are thrown from different heights and they land at the same height, but sorry, the picture does not make sense - that is, if the other information given in the problem (thrown horizontally at same initial speed) is correct. If the other information given in the problem is correct, the accelerations have to be different in order for the two objects to land at the same location and same time.

6. Oct 31, 2016 #5
    So you think the problem is wrong?

7. Oct 31, 2016 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted