Can someone help me prove a^2+ab+b^2=c^2 for a 120 degree triangle?

• Thread starter Ynaught?
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conjecture states that if a triangle has sides with lengths (a,b,c) and sides (a,b) enclose an angle of 120 degrees, then a^2+ab+b^2=c^2. This can be proven by using the red and green triangles and substituting their corresponding sides into the equation c^2= a^2+ b^2- 2abcos(C), where C=120 degrees. This simplifies to the given equation, proving the conjecture.
Ynaught?
I am hoping someone can help me with a proof for the following conjecture:

If a triangle has sides with lengths (a,b,c) and sides (a,b) enclose an angle of 120 degrees, then:

a^2+ab+b^2=c^2

Mahalo

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, Mahalo,
this one is easy.

In the attached picture, the 120-degree angle (on the green triangle) is marked with a black arc, while its 180-complement (on the red triangle), marked in yellow, would be a 60-degree angle.

On the red triangle, g^2 + h^2 = b^2 (eq.1).
On the bigger (red + green) triangle, (a + g)^2 + h^2 = c^2, or a^2 + 2ag + g^2 + h^2 = c^2 (eq.2).
Substituting (eq.1) into (eq.2), we get a^2 + 2ag + b^2 = c^2 (eq.3).
But, on the red triangle, g = b * cos(60) = b * 1/2; thus b = 2g, which turns (eq.3) into your equation.

Attachments

• 120.png
    120.png
    507 bytes · Views: 388
Dang! That's clever. I would have used the cosine law:
[itex]c^2= a^2+ b^2- 2abcos(C)[/itex]
Since, here, C= 120 degrees, cos(C)= cos(120)= -1/2.

Thanks gents. I was trying to make things much too complicated. ;)

What is a proof in science?

A proof in science is a logical argument that uses evidence and reasoning to support a hypothesis or claim. It is a way to demonstrate the validity and accuracy of a scientific statement or theory.

Why is a proof important in science?

A proof is important in science because it provides a way to verify the validity of scientific claims and theories. It allows scientists to communicate their findings and conclusions in a clear and concise manner, and it helps to build a foundation of knowledge that can be further developed and expanded upon.

What are the key components of a proof?

The key components of a proof in science are a hypothesis or claim, evidence to support the hypothesis, and logical reasoning to connect the evidence to the hypothesis. It may also include experimental data, mathematical equations, or other forms of evidence depending on the specific field of science.

How can I improve my proof writing skills?

To improve proof writing skills, it is important to practice and learn from others. Reading and studying published scientific papers can help to understand the structure and style of a proof. Additionally, seeking feedback from peers and mentors can provide valuable insights and suggestions for improvement.

Are there different types of proofs in science?

Yes, there are different types of proofs in science depending on the specific field or subfield. Some common types include deductive proofs, inductive proofs, statistical proofs, and experimental proofs. Each type may use different methods and approaches, but they all aim to provide evidence and logical reasoning to support a scientific claim.