Help with a series expansion in Marion & Thornton

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of series expansion to solve an equation involving motion with air resistance. The speaker is struggling to understand the author's methods of rearranging equations and suggests grouping terms together for easier algebraic manipulation. Two equations, 2.47 and 2.49, are mentioned as examples. The speaker also includes two equations, T and 1, as a reference for solving the problem.
snatchingthepi
Homework Statement
Finding the range of an object shot from a canon with air resistance of the form -k*m*v
Relevant Equations
Series expansion
So I'm on page 67 of Marion/Thornton's "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems" and I'm in need of some help. I understand that so far there's is an equation that cannot be solved analytically (regarding motion due to the air resistance and finding the range of the an object shot from a canon). So we got to take a series expansion of the exponential to help with this.

The problem is that I cannot for the life of me see how to arrange the terms to get the forms the author uses. Specifically I'm mystified about how 2.45 is coaxed into 2.47 using 2.46, and how 2.47 is made into 2.49 using 2.48.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    50.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    43.9 KB · Views: 132
Physics news on Phys.org
Just do what was described in the text. It may help to group things together to simplify the algebra.
\begin{align*}
T &= \frac{kV+g}{gk}\left(kT - \frac 12 k^2 T^2 + \frac 16 k^3 T^3\right) \\
1 &= \left(\frac{kV}{g}+1\right)\left(1 - \frac 12 (kT) + \frac 16 (kT)^2\right)
\end{align*} Solve for the term linear in ##T##.

Likes Auto-Didact

What is a series expansion in Marion & Thornton?

A series expansion in Marion & Thornton is a mathematical technique used to approximate and represent a function as a sum of simpler functions. It involves breaking down a complicated function into simpler terms, typically polynomials, to make it easier to manipulate and analyze.

Why is a series expansion useful?

A series expansion is useful because it allows us to approximate complicated functions with simpler ones, making it easier to calculate and work with. It also helps us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values at different points.

How do I perform a series expansion in Marion & Thornton?

To perform a series expansion in Marion & Thornton, you will need to use mathematical techniques such as Taylor series, Maclaurin series, or Fourier series. These methods involve breaking down the function into simpler terms and calculating the coefficients of each term to find the overall approximation.

What are some applications of series expansions in Marion & Thornton?

Series expansions in Marion & Thornton have many applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. They are used to approximate physical phenomena, solve differential equations, and analyze complex systems. Some specific applications include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, modeling heat transfer, and predicting the behavior of electrical circuits.

Can I use a computer program to help with a series expansion in Marion & Thornton?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software packages available that can assist with series expansions in Marion & Thornton. These programs use advanced algorithms and numerical methods to calculate the coefficients and perform the expansion, making the process faster and more accurate.