Help with an easy Laplace Transform problem.

In summary, the problem is that you are trying to find the transform of a function that is given in terms of sine and cosine, but you make a mistake and end up with a wrong answer. However, by using a ti89 calculator and some math, you are able to find the correct transform.
wiz0r
Problem;

If, f(t) = d/dt [(e^-5t) (cos2t)]

Find F(s).

Eh, well, I don't really know what to do, can I get some pointers?

Am I supposed to integrate both sides, so I can get rid of d/dt, and then apply the integration property to find the answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should

• Know the transform of [tex] \cos 2t [/tex]
  • Have a theorem that tells you how to find the transform of a derivative of a function
  • Know how multiplication by an exponential function influences the transform of a given function

Using these ideas, not necessarily in the order presented here, will get you through the problem.

Ok, thank you statdad.

Anyway, first of all I made a typo on the initial equation. The correct f(t) is;

f(t) = d/dt [(e^-5t) (cos2t)]

Now, what I know is;

if f(t) = cos2t, then F(s) = s / (s^2 + 4)

also, if f(t) = (e^-5t) (cos2t) ,then F(s) = (s + 5) / [(s + 5)^2 +4]

Now, I know that;

df(t) / dt = sF(s) - f(0) and that f(0) = 1

Now, I will try to add everything together and find an answer..

Umm, well;

I know that df(t) / dt = sF(s) - f(0) and that f(0) = 1

so,

L[f(t)] = s [(s + 5) / (s + 5)^2 +4] - 1

F(s) = [s(s+5) / (s+5)^2 + 4 ] - s

Am I correct?

Last edited:
wiz0r said:
F(s) = [s(s+5) / (s+5)^2 + 4 ] - s
Where did this 's' come from? More importantly does the question say that f(0) = 1?

You are correct, I can not say that f(0) = 1, also, that was another mistake(the s). But, well, I guess, that doesn't help me much. :x

Anyway, I found a ti89 program to find the transform. I know now that the answer is;

F(s) = -(5s + 29) / s^2 + 10s + 29

But, huh, no idea how to get there. It's 2:35 am, being doing all kind of problems with laplace transforms, and the first problem(this one), I can't solve it. Woot, for some reason I feel this problem or something really similar to this is coming on my exam tomorrow. >_>

So, umm f(0) should be zero, right?

f(0) = d/dt ( cos0 ) = 0

Ok, now, I get;

F(s) = [s(s+5) / (s+5)^2 + 4 ]

F(s) = s(s+5) / s^2 + 10s + 29

Hey, well at least the denominator is correct. >.> Wonder what am I doing wrong.

You're right about that. f(0) = 1 by substitution. I thought we were solving a DE and the initial condition was omitted.

Your answer is correct. Just combine the -1 into the same fraction and you'll get what your program gave you.

Alright. Thank you, Defender. Now I can sleep in peace.

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used in calculus to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is represented by a capital letter "L" and is denoted by L {f(t)}.

2. Why are Laplace Transforms useful?

Laplace Transforms are useful because they simplify complex mathematical problems and allow for easier analysis of systems. They also facilitate solving differential equations, which are used to model many systems in science and engineering.

3. How do you perform a Laplace Transform?

To perform a Laplace Transform, you need to take the integral of the function multiplied by e^(-st), where "s" is a complex variable. This can be done using a table of Laplace Transform pairs or by using the properties of Laplace Transforms.

4. What is an easy Laplace Transform problem?

An easy Laplace Transform problem typically involves a simple function, such as a polynomial or an exponential function, and can be solved using the basic properties of Laplace Transforms. These problems are often used to introduce students to the concept of Laplace Transforms.

5. How do Laplace Transforms relate to real-world applications?

Laplace Transforms have numerous real-world applications, such as in electrical engineering, control systems, and signal processing. They are used to analyze and design systems in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology.