1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with basic multivariable problem.

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    Help with basic multivariable problem. [SOLVED]

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two surfaces intersect at a space curve C.
    The two surfaces are 4y2 + 9z2 = 36 and x = 2y2 - 3z2

Find a vector parametrization for C. (r(t) = ( f(t) , g(t) , h(t) )
    Find a set of values for the parameter t over which C is traced once.
    2. Relevant equations

None needed.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've solved for a vector curve r(t) = ( t , [tex]\sqrt{3t/10+36/10}[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{2t/15-36/15}[/tex])

I used x=t and solved the rest, but I'm not sure that it even correct. Additionally, I have no idea how I will find bounds for exactly one trace of C.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

hi vampire, your paramterisation may not help as i don't think it traces teh whole curve, only a piece of it

have a think about your two sufaces, maybe try drawing some pieces along the axis planes in 3D...

The first equation represents a elliptic cylinder along the axis, the 2nd is harder to draw & looks like some kind of saddle type thing...

However its likely the 2nd surface cuts completely through the cylinder... giving a distorted ellipse over which C will retrace itself

With this mind... an idea could be to first try and parameterise z & y in terms of the projected ellipse on the y-z plane.

Choose cylindrical coordinates, with cylinder along the x axis, then z & y should be easy to parameterise in term of the angle. This should solve the first equation, use your 2nd to get x.

Not 100% it will work, but worth a crack...

4. Sep 17, 2009 #3
    Thank you for your help! Looking at it facing the y-z plane helped me solve it; thank you, lanedance.

I've solved it. I parametrized the elliptical cylinder using trigonometric functions:

z= 2sin(t) y= 3cos(t) and solved for x. x= 18cos^2(t) - 12sin^2(t)

t (0,2[tex]\pi[/tex])

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook