Ranking brightness of equal resistors in a circuit with series and parallel paths

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
brom123
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Rank in order of brightness, from brightest to dimmest.

Homework Equations



V=IR, Kirchoff's Laws

The Attempt at a Solution



I assumed the bulbs are supposed to be considered just as resistors, and that the more current through the resistor, the brighter the bulb. All bulbs (resistors) are of equal resistance, and I plugged in random values or 2 ohms for each resistor and 10V for the battery. I came up with 1.23 ohms for an equivalent resistance, so 8.125A for the current coming out of the battery. I am now stuck in determining how much current takes which path. Thank you for your help.
 
Attachments
  • knight_Figure_31_44.jpg
    knight_Figure_31_44.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 632
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi brom123! Welcome to PF!

have you used Kirchoff's laws to find the current in each branch? try it!
 
why is it not advisable to use a thin wire in the heating circuit?