1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with dielectrics, capacitors, batteries, etc

1. Feb 9, 2006 #1

dnt

1. can someone please explain the idea of a dielectric to me (or at least give me a link that explains it in laymans terms) - all i understand is that its placed between two capacitors and it increases their capacitance (by the factor of K). what does it do to the voltage? and the charge?

2. a question states that a fully charged capacitor of capacitance 1.0 F is able to light a .50 watt bulb for 5.0 seconds before it quits - what was the terminal voltage of the battery that charged the capacitor?

I first tried wolving for work (power = work/time) and I got W = 2.5 J but after that im stuck. i know that V = W/q but i dont know what q is. please help.

3. the last question says to store energy to trigger an electronic flash unit for photography, a capacitor is connected to a 400 V voltage source. the flash requires 20 J. the capacitor is initially airfilled and has a capacitance of 100 uF (microfarads). you then insert a dielectric material, leaving everything else the same. what must be the dielectric constant to store 20 J.

my solution: I started by saying that U = 1/2 CV^2 (is that correct?)

by solving for C required I got 2.5*10^-4 F

however, it says my capacitance is only 100 uF = 1*10^-4 F

therefore the dielectric constant needs to be (2.5*10^-4)/(1*10^-4) = 2.5

is that the right answer? did i do the work correctly?

thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A dielectric contains polar molecules that align themselves in an electric field so as to oppose it. Thus the insertion of a dielectric reduces the potential difference (voltage) between the plates for a given plate charge. Since : C = Q/V, the dielectric has the effect of increasing capacitance.

The energy stored in a capacitor is power x time:
    [tex]W = \int_0^{t_f} Pdt = \int_0^{t_f} VIdt = \int_Q^0 Vdq = \int_V^0 VCdv = \frac{1}{2}CV^2[/tex]

You don't need to work out Q (charge on plates at full voltage, V) to find V. But if you want to do so, Q=VC where V is what you just worked out and C = 1.0 F.

Looks fine.

AM

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  4. Feb 9, 2006 #3

dnt

thanks for the help even though i dont understand all those symbols and stuff. however, how do you find Q when you dont have V either? you said Q=VC but we only know C.

either way, the best way to solve it would be W=(1/2)CV^2

so 2.5 J = (1/2)(1.0 F)V^2

and solve for V that way...is that right?

thanks again.

5. Feb 9, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In order to get 2.5 J stored in the capacitor, you will need to have a voltage of [itex]V = \sqrt{5} = 2.24 Volts[/itex]. Q = CV, so Q = 2.24 Coulombs. So a charge of 2.24 C. will produce a voltage of 2.24 volts and a stored energy of 2.5 J.

AM

6. Feb 9, 2006 #5

dnt

ok so basically you cannot solve for Q unless you solve for V first?

7. Feb 10, 2006 #6

lightgrav

Homework Helper

The Electrical PE of a collection of charges (as on a capacitor) is PE = Q*V .
    But here, the Electric Potential (V) is caused by the charges (Q) themselves.
    The Electric Potential when the first charge was put on was V_start = 0 ;
    the Electric Potential when the final charge accumulated was V_end = V .
    So, for a capacitor, PE = Q_total * V_average = 1/2 Q*V .

Capacitance is defined: C = Q/V, so it's also ok to write PE = 1/2 Q*Q/C .
    With that expression, you don't need to compute Voltage first.

Remember that Voltage is dV = E dx ; as the dielectric is inserted,
    the E-field reduces to E/K , if the same Q are on the plates.
    So the device has the "capacity" to store K times as much charge
    for the same "electrical analogy to gas pressure" (Voltage).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?