Help with dot products - How can the dot product be a vector quantity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the vector-valued function \overrightarrow r (t) = x(t)\overrightarrow i + y(t)\overrightarrow j and the dot product of two vectors, \overrightarrow r (t) \bullet \overrightarrow r '(t), and whether it can be a vector or a scalar quantity. The conclusion is that the dot product is always a scalar quantity and the question in the conversation may have a typo.
danago
Gold Member
[tex]\overrightarrow r (t)[/tex] is a vector valued function given by:

[tex]
\overrightarrow r (t) = x(t)\overrightarrow i + y(t)\overrightarrow j
[/tex]

if [tex]h(t) = \left| {\overrightarrow r (t)} \right|[/tex], show that the following is true:

[tex]
\overrightarrow r (t) \bullet \overrightarrow r '(t) = x(t)\overrightarrow i + y(t)\overrightarrow j
[/tex]

Now, my first question is: how can a dot product of two vectors possibly be another vector? Isnt the dot product always a scalar quanitity? Am i correct in saying this, and is there a typo in the question, or am i completely missing something?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
If that's the question, it makes no sense. It is true that (r(t).r(t))'=2*r(t).r'(t), which is the only thing that that even sort of resembles.

Alright that's good to hear. I was going through some past exam questions which had been re-written and published into a book, and this one came up, and yea, it didnt look right to me. Well thanks very much for confirming that :smile:

1. What is a dot product?

A dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is also known as an inner product or a scalar product.

2. How is a dot product calculated?

The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding the products together. For example, if vector A has components (a1, a2, a3) and vector B has components (b1, b2, b3), the dot product would be a1*b1 + a2*b2 + a3*b3.

3. Why is the dot product useful?

The dot product is useful in many areas of mathematics and physics. It can be used to find the angle between two vectors, determine if two vectors are perpendicular to each other, and calculate the projection of one vector onto another.

4. Can the dot product be a vector quantity?

No, the dot product is always a scalar quantity. This means it only has magnitude and no direction. However, the result of the dot product can be used to determine the direction of a vector, such as when finding the projection of one vector onto another.

5. How can the dot product be used in real-world applications?

The dot product has many real-world applications, such as in physics for calculating work and energy, in engineering for determining the force acting on an object, and in computer graphics for lighting and shading calculations. It is also used in statistics and machine learning for data analysis and pattern recognition.