1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with dot products - How can the dot product be a vector quantity?

1. Oct 31, 2007 #1

danago

Gold Member

[tex]\overrightarrow r (t)[/tex] is a vector valued function given by:

[tex]
    \overrightarrow r (t) = x(t)\overrightarrow i + y(t)\overrightarrow j
    [/tex]

if [tex]h(t) = \left| {\overrightarrow r (t)} \right|[/tex], show that the following is true:

[tex]
    \overrightarrow r (t) \bullet \overrightarrow r '(t) = x(t)\overrightarrow i + y(t)\overrightarrow j
    [/tex]

Now, my first question is: how can a dot product of two vectors possibly be another vector? Isnt the dot product always a scalar quanitity? Am i correct in saying this, and is there a typo in the question, or am i completely missing something?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If that's the question, it makes no sense. It is true that (r(t).r(t))'=2*r(t).r'(t), which is the only thing that that even sort of resembles.

4. Oct 31, 2007 #3

danago

Gold Member

Alright thats good to hear. I was going through some past exam questions which had been re-written and published into a book, and this one came up, and yea, it didnt look right to me. Well thanks very much for confirming that :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?