Proving lim_(x,y)→(0,0) (x²+2xy²+y²)/(x²+y²)=1 with epsilon-delta

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
azure kitsune
Messages
63
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let

[tex]f(x,y) = \dfrac{x^2+2xy^2+y^2}{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

Prove that

[tex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} f(x,y) = 1[/tex]

Homework Equations



Definition of the limit of a function of multiple variables:

It suffices to show that for all [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], there exists a [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] such that for all [tex](x,y)[/tex] such that [tex]0 < x^2 + y^2 < \delta ^2[/tex], we have [tex]|f(x,y) - 1| < \epsilon[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]|f(x,y) - 1| = \left| \dfrac{2xy^2}{x^2+y^2} \right| = \dfrac{2|x|y^2}{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

I need to bound this with an expression in terms of [tex]\delta[/tex], but I can't think of any way to do so. I noticed that the denominator is less than [tex]\delta ^2[/tex] but I can't get anywhere with that. (I end up bounding it in the wrong direction! :rolleyes:)

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

[Edit: Good catch Mark44!]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try 2|x|y^2<=2|x|*(x^2+y^2). How can you bound |x| in terms of delta?
 
This isn't much help, but the denominator is less than [itex]\delta ^2[/itex], which makes the overall expression larger than it would be if the denominator were equal to [itex]\delta ^2[/itex].
 
I get that [tex]|x| = \sqrt{x^2} \leq \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} < \delta[/tex] so

[tex]\dfrac{2|x|y^2}{x^2+y^2} \leq \dfrac{2|x|(x^2 + y^2)}{x^2+y^2} = 2|x| < 2\delta[/tex]

So for any [tex]\epsilon[/tex], we can choose [tex]\delta = \epsilon/2[/tex].

Thanks Dick! That was tricky.