1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with equations for Momentum Question

1. Jan 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have absolutely no idea how to setup the equation for the following homework problem.

2.3-kg cart is rolling across a frictionless, horizontal track toward a 1.5-kg cart held initially at rest. The carts are loaded with strong magnets that cause them to attract one another. Thus, the speed of each is increasing. At a certain instant before they collide, the 1st carts velocity is +4.5m/s and 2nd cart is -1.9m/s.

A) total momentum of the system of 2 carts at this instant
    B) velocity of 1st cart when 2nd cart is at rest.

I don't want the answer, I can find those on google. I want to under which equations to use and why.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's start with A), hat will help you solve B) as well.

The equation for momentum is
    p = m v,
    where m is the mass and v the velocity.

The boldface letters mean that the quantities are vectors. If you don't know what that means, then all you need to remember is that they have a direction (3 m/s and -3 m/s are different things).

4. Jan 10, 2010 #3
    Thank you. Would I need to do this for both cars and then subtract?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook