1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with formula and explanation

1. Aug 6, 2016 #1
    Good Morning / Afternoon,

I'm looking at a question which has been given to me and I'm trying to find out what the answer / formula would be to it.

The question is as follows:

A student has been asked to move a box of mass 15 kg onto a shelf that is at a height 2 m above the ground level and 10.85 m from where the box was originally kept. The student is moving with the box at a steady speed of 0.123 m/s. As the student approaches the shelf, he notices another student is opening the door adjacent to the shelf area. i. If the student is able to apply sufficient force to stop in 1.2 s, will the student avoid a collision if the opening door is 0.8 m ahead of the box? (We Assume that the student is applying the same magnitude of force throughout that time.

I'm new to physics, I've emailed my tutor however I'm yet to have a response and this is slowly eating my brain. Would someone be kind enough to:

1. Help me with the answer / formula
    2. Give me a small / brief explanation on how they found that answer / formula (it would help me greatly)
    As always when I use an online forum any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How would you characterize the force ... ie. does the force vary with time?
    What sort of motion goes with that kind of force?
    What equations do you know that relate to that sort of motion?

ie. have you tried drawing a v-t diagram for the motion?

4. Aug 6, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Hi Atkinson1988,

I've moved this thread to the introductory physics homework forum. In the future please place homework questions in the appropriate homework forum and use the template provided therein.

5. Aug 6, 2016 #4

NascentOxygen

Readers are not allowed to help until you show a good attempt, first.

Initially, I think you should explain the essential problem in your own words, so we can see that you do understand the situation.

6. Aug 6, 2016 #5
    Hi thanks for your responses, totally understand, I'm unable to edit my original post to add this content in, I don't see an option to edit. Can someone shed some light into how I go about doing this?

7. Aug 6, 2016 #6

Drakkith

There is only a limited amount of time after posting that you can edit the post. Just make a new post with the information.

8. Aug 7, 2016 #7

NascentOxygen

These are the headers under which you need to write your post requesting help with homework:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted